Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 13' lpxe 8/9

Default 13' lpxe 8/9

Quick question chaps!

Do any of you use the Airflo Rage Compact on the above rod?

Have the above line in heavier weights for other rods and fancy one for my lpxe.

Was hoping you could point me in the right direction if you are using it!

Cheers

Westie
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Is it the 3pce or 4pce LPXe you have Andy?

I found the 3pce was just as happy with 9/10 lines as 8/9's

Hi Alan

It's the 4 piece.

Have the 600 grain Airflo R C which I use on my 10 weight Wildnerness Xt - which I really like. However, looking at the grain weights of the line compared with the gram casting weight of the Lpxe (28-32 g) it looks like I should be down around the 480 grain mark.

Know that weight distribution in a line is a big factor - hence the question.

Wouldnae like to see my new Lpxe go bang!!!

Cheers

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    Hi Alan

It's the 4 piece.

Have the 600 grain Airflo R C which I use on my 10 weight Wildnerness Xt - which I really like. However, looking at the grain weights of the line compared with the gram casting weight of the Lpxe (28-32 g) it looks like I should be down around the 480 grain mark.

Know that weight distribution in a line is a big factor - hence the question.

Wouldnae like to see my new Lpxe go bang!!!

Cheers

Andy
    i have the 3 piece and have used the 480gr Rage head on mine is goes fine,the 510gr would go a treat on it as well,ensure your using a leader(poly+tippet) at least the lenght of the rod though as the heads only 30ft
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    i have the 3 piece and have used the 480gr Rage head on mine is goes fine,the 510gr would go a treat on it as well,ensure your using a leader(poly+tippet) at least the lenght of the rod though as the heads only 30ft
    Cheers DB

TBH - was torn between the 480 and 510 - just don't want to overload the rod!

Aye, your right. Have a 10wt, 13 ft Diawa Wilderness XT which loves the 600gr Rage....along with a 10ft poly and mono tippet!! Everyone who picks up that set up loves it!!

Used to use a 510 Airflo Rage on my 13ft LPXE before I sold it. It was my favourite line on this rod with 10ft tips including Rio light MOW tips upto 10ft of T8. Never had any issues even though total head weight was upto 590 grains - Water bourne casts only with the MOW tips though.
    Last edited by Dazza; 03-03-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Got the T weight wrong - used MOW T8 tips not T11
    Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    Cheers DB

TBH - was torn between the 480 and 510 - just don't want to overload the rod!

Aye, your right. Have a 10wt, 13 ft Diawa Wilderness XT which loves the 600gr Rage....along with a 10ft poly and mono tippet!! Everyone who picks up that set up loves it!!
    You won't overload a rod with an increase of 30gr/2g unless the lower amount is right on the edge which in this case it isn't, far from it. If you find you do a lot of waterborne anchor casts then the little bit of extra weight will be useful. I expect both head weights are well within the rods capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    You won't overload a rod with an increase of 30gr/2g unless the lower amount is right on the edge which in this case it isn't, far from it. If you find you do a lot of waterborne anchor casts then the little bit of extra weight will be useful. I expect both head weights are well within the rods capabilities.
    Cheers Alan!

I have a 12'6" LPXE and use an Airflo Delta Spey 8/9 which is what it is rated for and this works very well. It is the older 3 piece version.

Sorry, meant to update this thread about about a week ago

Bought the 510 grain Rage Compact and fished it for the first time last weekend.

What a sweet (for me and the other guys that tried it) combination - utterly effortless!