Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  61
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Loudmouth anglers

Yesterday was opening day of 2015 salmon season in southern Finland. Whilst fishing some public water, one particularly loud angler arrived. He was harmless but his voice really traveled and he was talking very loudly non stop. I could hear what he was saying from 100 meters away. This began to annoy me. Then he came closer to me and was standing on my right. He started shouting something to another angler who was standing on my left. At this point I just asked him "why are you shouting". He replied, im just talking to my mate. I responded saying "I am trying to fish here". He got the point and was much quieter after that.

Id rather not have to say that to him. But probably nobody has ever pit it to him in that way so probably good that somebody did.

Would I be right in saying that if I can hear him from 100meters away, surely all fish in the river can too?

Fish dont have ears mate.

Quote Originally Posted by DOON ROD View Post
    Fish dont have ears mate.
    Really. I once saw some trout scatter when a car door closed from about 20 yards away. How do you explain that?
    Last edited by Finnjoki; 02-03-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnjoki View Post
    Would I be right in saying that if I can hear him from 100meters away, surely all fish in the river can too?
    Although it would certainly be irritating, I'm not sure that he would have been scaring the fish. If you've ever had your head underwater in a swimming pool (or even a bath) when someone is trying to talk to you, you'll know that sound doesn't transmit very well from air to water. And certainly if there is broken water I suspect that that would drown out any sounds from above the surface. Sound in the water is a different thing - I think clumsy wading or splashy spey casting can certainly scare fish.

I remember reading someone (can't remember who) who wrote that he wouldn't mind having a full Welsh male voice choir on the river bank, provided they didn't stamp their feet while singing!
    Last edited by charlieH; 02-03-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Really. I once saw some trout scatter when a car door closed from about 20 yards away. How do you explain that?
    vibration , if you jump up and down you will scare everything around you including fish in the river, shouting at them or him depends where your stood,

Yesterday was opening day of 2015 salmon season in southern Finland. Whilst fishing some public water, one particularly loud angler arrived. He was harmless but his voice really traveled and he was talking very loudly non stop. I could hear what he was saying from 100 meters away. This began to annoy me. Then he came closer to me and was standing on my right. He started shouting something to another angler who was standing on my left. At this point I just asked him "why are you shouting". He replied, im just talking to my mate. I responded saying "I am trying to fish here". He got the point and was much quieter after that.

Id rather not have to say that to him. But probably nobody has ever pit it to him in that way so probably good that somebody .

I understand your point and agree completely, I go fishing for quiet and relaxation, not to hear other guys shouting to their mates up/down/across the river.

As annoying as he sounds, he won't have been scaring fish. Having read about Falkus firing a gun over a shoal of sea trout to prove this point, I did the same myself with the 12 bore over a shoal of very wary sea trout in dead low water. Result; they never tilted a fin. A few good stamps on the bank scattered them though.
    "the nuts drop in the pool: the Salmon there
    is the wisest of all creatures, old and wise"
    Those Swans Remember; John Hewitt, Ulster Poet.

Default Loudmouth Anglers

See Speaking Salmon on Just One Week.

Fish can detect above water sounds in certain circumstances and frequencies.

TonyPrior Guest

Teensie diversion, but the OP reminded me of the Finnish joke: a pub in midwinter, a fellow comes in, orders a beer & makes a remark about the weather. Barman replies: "Did you come in here to drink or to talk?"

But, agree, quietness, unobtrusive presence ...essential to fishing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast