Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Measurements

Default Measurements

In the day of catch and release why is weight more important than length? You can't argue with a photo of the length of the fish with a measurement tape along side it. We can always argue about the accuracy of one's scale used for weighing a fish, yes? Isn't it more friendly to the fish to just make a quick measurement and get it back in the water quickly?

I know some very prestigious trophies are awarded by weight I presume but is it worthwhile giving this some thought?

Please feel free to flame away

I think we are just programmed to weigh fish. The Americans who embraced C&R long before it became fashionable here are more length concious. Maybe it will come with time. For myself I don't really care, unless it's a real beast. I carry a weigh net when I fish and if I think it's over 20, I'll weigh it. If not I'll eat it or return it. Sometimes when I'm smoking a fish I'll weigh it but it's not something I fuss about.

The Dunkeld 35lber proves that even length can be disputed.

One interesting observation from that whole episode was whether the length should be measured in a "straight line" from nose tip to tail fork or whether the tape should follow the curve of the fish, possibly adding an inch or two in the process?

Old school for me, between the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, what does that mean?

I find weighing while in the net a 5sec job. Fish can be sitting in the water while scale found and then quick lift in net and back in. Unless your trying for a river record the accuracy is fine to an ounce of two. All the modern electric scales make it a doddle
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    Don't forget to adjust measurement for the curvature of the earth.

Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

When measuring lions and such like you put a peg in at their nose and one at the tip of the tail, remove the deceased feline and measure the length between the sticks. That's the accepted Rowland Ward method.

The reason, I think, the sturdy scale seems to weigh so heavy is that it is based on thick set springers and they were measured between the sticks so are shorter than if they had been measured around the curve. Also to the tip of the tail or the fork? DEFRA MLS's are measured to the tip, most people measure fish to the fork.

Quote Originally Posted by bkupris View Post
    In the day of catch and release why is weight more important than length? You can't argue with a photo of the length of the fish with a measurement tape along side it. We can always argue about the accuracy of one's scale used for weighing a fish, yes? Isn't it more friendly to the fish to just make a quick measurement and get it back in the water quickly?

I know some very prestigious trophies are awarded by weight I presume but is it worthwhile giving this some thought?

Please feel free to flame away
    I don't think it is.
    For me, the problem arises when an angler measures the length of a fish but then states it's size in weight form.
    If you want to label the fish as a certain weight, bloody weigh it!
    If you want to measure the fish, label it's size as a length.
    It just confuses me why this isn't obvious?
    “Some people take offense like it's a limited time offer.”

I think this preoccupation with size length stems from insecurities in other parts of anglers lives, have never met a woman angler give the matter much thought to be honest.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast