Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Shooting head loop

I've got a couple of shooting heads that aren't looped at the reel end. I've tried putting a braided loop on it but the diameter is about 2mm and even extra large braided loops won't fit. I don't want to create a welded loop with it because the loop would be massive and not fit through the rod rings!

Any bright ideas??

1) Strip the coating off and form a loop with the core.
    2) Nail knot a loop of braid to it.
    3) stop buying cheap lines
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

roman moser jumbo braided loops
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

Has anyone ever had braided loops fail? I've never had occasion to use them but I have some. They look a bit flimsy. I've watched videos on attaching them and am still not reassured.

Quote Originally Posted by Piker20 View Post
    1) Strip the coating off and form a loop with the core.
    2) Nail knot a loop of braid to it.
    3) stop buying cheap lines
    I'll try it

(Guideline heads that need cutting back.)

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    Has anyone ever had braided loops fail? I've never had occasion to use them but I have some. They look a bit flimsy. I've watched videos on attaching them and am still not reassured.
    Superglue, shrink tubing and whip them on and they're secure as anything

As suggested roman mosser jumbo loops.

Welded loop by using a using a length of finer old running line, forming a small loop welded to the head.

Gudebrod 50lb braid has been big enough for any of the heads I have.
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    I use Braided loops exclusively.I make my own to fit.I do not use the silicone/shrink tubing.I whip them on and normally double wall them.I make sure they're is no unsupported braid to allow hinging.I check regularly for broken strands in the loop.I have total confidence in them.

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    Superglue, shrink tubing and whip them on and they're secure as anything
    I have had a few failures over the years and always try and remember to keep a couple of spares in my bag and some super glue to put a bit on towards the tip of the fly line.
    My failures have mainly occurred when your back cast catches vegetation behind you and removes the braided loop in one go.
    They are definitely not fail-safe !
    Agree with T7's method above.
    Last edited by Chicharito; 28-02-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    As suggested roman mosser jumbo loops.

Welded loop by using a using a length of finer old running line, forming a small loop welded to the head.

Gudebrod 50lb braid has been big enough for any of the heads I have.
    T7, I think KGM is on the money with his suggestions here. Get a bottle of acetone (nail varnish remover) and steep the section you want to strip for 10min - the easiest way of getting to the core without damaging it.

Just a word about superglue - don't - . It cracks quickly in use, shortly thereafter turns to dust/paste - this has the effect of lubricating the braid against the flyline. As has been said a few times on the forum aquasure/stormsure over a whip is totally reliable, neat and simple.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast