Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cairn o' Mount

Default Cairn o' Mount

Cairn o’ Mount Snow Gate Webcam

Posted in another thread but thought it might be worth posting on its own.

Many of the Dee fishers drive up from the South and head over the Cairn o' Mount to Royal Deeside.
    This road is worth a drive over on its own, but only on a good day.
    The link above shows the Web cam on the North side of the Cairn, that shows if the Snow gates are closed.
    The council has changed its policy over the last couple of years, and now doesn't clear or grit the Cairn, unless there is a favourable weather forecast that shows it wont block again the next day.
    This means that the gates are closed a lot more now.
    Better to check first than get stopped at the Clatterin Brig and then have to go round the slug.
    Even when it is open, unless you know it intimately, you should avoid when its foggy.
    When coming over the Cairn heading South. About 200m from the summit, there is a very sharp LHS bend.
    You almost always see at the view point on this bend, tyre marks over a huge grass mound and broken parts of the wall.
    Until you have done it in the fog you will genuinely think, "how can any idiot" drive in to that and crash.
    In really thick fog the question should be more "how did some avoid it".
    From that view point on a crystal clear day you can see all the way to probably Leuchars.

Its not unusual to see red deer (sometimes in there hundreds in the dark one the other side of a sharp bend!!!), mountain hares, eagles, capercaillies, perigrines, shorth eared owls, black grouse and red grouse.

A superb road that can save you 30 minutes at least, but remember, only on a good day.

Cheers

Mows

I get where you are coming from mows.
    I was driving that road heading south in October and I think I was basically in the low clouds. Couldn't see 5ft in front of me. 2 cars went of the road at the sharp bend you talk about..
    And heading north in December 2011 I hit a blizzard. Was a serious. Squeaky bum time.
    I'm. Sure the misus Farted a lump that day she was so frightened.
    but like you say mows. On a good day what a cracking road. Same goes for Glenshee and lecht passes. Lovely roads but very dangerous in the wrong conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I get where you are coming from mows.
    I was driving that road heading south in October and I think I was basically in the low clouds. Couldn't see 5ft in front of me. 2 cars went of the road at the sharp bend you talk about..
    And heading north in December 2011 I hit a blizzard. Was a serious. Squeaky bum time.
    I'm. Sure the misus Farted a lump that day she was so frightened.
    but like you say mows. On a good day what a cracking road. Same goes for Glenshee and lecht passes. Lovely roads but very dangerous in the wrong conditions
    Great description,fantastic road but as you both say all very dangerous at times particularly the change from Perth/Dundee northwards

I love the Cairn road, its always full of happy memories for me. Im always happy heading north as it means Im going fishing and coming south after a week heading for home is always good to.

A couple of Irish lads came here last night in the dark with what they described as 2m visibility, it made men of them

Only been over it twice.
    Once on the Thursday evening in beautiful weather , and heading south on the Saturday evening in thick fog.
    A car had driven straight through the viewpoint , and appeared to be balanced on the wall behind it.

Mind you , Kenny was driving that fast I only caught a glimpse of the accident scene.
    Last edited by ibm59; 26-02-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Once free wheeled my restricted DT50 moped down the south side and got up to 70mph!
    We once tried to skate board down it.
    We only got a few yards when to boards would stop on some gravel and we didn't.
    Was a painful lesson.

Cheers

Mows

What is the best pass road in Scotland.
    Cairn o mount. Glenshee. A north of Ness is interesting the further north you get.
    For me it is the lecht In winter when the road is clear enough to pass. Grantown on spey, over to Ballater via tomintoul to cockbridge. corgarff castle and over the biggest single track road hump back bridge iv ever seen.

Past Loch Lomond and Glen Coe is up there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    Cairn o’ Mount Snow Gate Webcam

Posted in another thread but thought it might be worth posting on its own.

Many of the Dee fishers drive up from the South and head over the Cairn o' Mount to Royal Deeside.
    This road is worth a drive over on its own, but only on a good day.
    The link above shows the Web cam on the North side of the Cairn, that shows if the Snow gates are closed.
    The council has changed its policy over the last couple of years, and now doesn't clear or grit the Cairn, unless there is a favourable weather forecast that shows it wont block again the next day.
    This means that the gates are closed a lot more now.
    Better to check first than get stopped at the Clatterin Brig and then have to go round the slug.
    Even when it is open, unless you know it intimately, you should avoid when its foggy.
    When coming over the Cairn heading South. About 200m from the summit, there is a very sharp LHS bend.
    You almost always see at the view point on this bend, tyre marks over a huge grass mound and broken parts of the wall.
    Until you have done it in the fog you will genuinely think, "how can any idiot" drive in to that and crash.
    In really thick fog the question should be more "how did some avoid it".
    From that view point on a crystal clear day you can see all the way to probably Leuchars.

Its not unusual to see red deer (sometimes in there hundreds in the dark one the other side of a sharp bend!!!), mountain hares, eagles, capercaillies, perigrines, shorth eared owls, black grouse and red grouse.

A superb road that can save you 30 minutes at least, but remember, only on a good day.

Cheers

Mows

Always used that route on the way to The Dee and have done for last 28 years. Prior to the webcam it was a pain only finding out the gates were closed and having to detour to use the Slug. W e have also had some scary moments in fog/low cloud or snow and one year even the Slug was shut and we had to carry on via Aberdeen.
    Will be over there this Sunday (weather permitting) and don't suppose we will change the format of the days travelling ie First stop, Ravensgill farm shop on the A66 for breakfast, and a good breakfast it is too. Second stop ,but not compulsory, John Norris in Penrith. Its a bit too soon really for another stop and I've wondered whether to miss out Ravensgill, carry on to John Norris's and call in the little cafe which I've noticed opposite for breakfast. Has anyone used it and does it do breakfasts at about 11.30am.
    Next is a pee or coffee stop either at Hamilton or we carry on to Stirling services. Next would be refuelling at Morrisons in Dundee. Its always the cheapest diesel anywhere, and that will last until we fill up again at the same place on the return journey.
    By this time we are looking forward to the tea and scones at The Clattering Brig cafe Brilliant home made scones in a stunning setting.
    Final brief stop would be Potarch Bridge to check the state of the river and the water height.
    Years ago, prior to Fishdee, the four of us in the car used to have a 1 bet on guessing the river height, and the bet had to be made prior to crossing The Feugh.
    Funny how you get set in your ways is'nt it

Default Cairn o' Mount

And even on nice sunny days it can put the wind up you.

Early on during one of my trips up to Banchory for the second half of 'Springer's Week' and after 8 + hours driving and accumulating ***** on my windscreen, I took a bend, almost at the top of the hill. Straight into the sun settling over a hill in the west. Almost total blindness!
    I had a couple of cars behind me and couldn't jam on the brakes without an accident ( they obviously knew the road and had been on my **** since Clatterin Brig), so gradually came to a halt with my wheels in the gully on the LHS of the road, inches from oblivion!
    I now stop at Clatterin Brig and wash my windscreen.
    Not this year though because my son, after producing 2 lovely grandchildren for us over the last 10 years has finally decided to marry his partner, -
    on Saturday!!!
    Tight lines you lot.

daibach

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast