Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default saturday - The Tay or the Teith at callander?

afternoon folks,

Looking for some advice re your thoughts on either the tay or teith for a cast on saturday?
    I will be fishing with my brother, who is relatively 'newish' when it comes to salmon fishing and has never fished either of the above rivers.

Looking for fly and spinning beat, with ticket/ beat cost of say 30quid a head (give or take)

P.s. open to any other suggestions within 2hour ish drive from glasgow.

Where would you go? thanks in advance for any input.

Jamie :-)

Sorry, dont know too much about Teith.
    Luncarty and Lower Redgorton on Tay are available and within your budget.
    On the assumption that at this time of year your chances are bettered by being down the bottom end of the river then the aforementioned beats tick this box.
    I would go for the Tay - but I would.
    Good luck either way.
    Last edited by Long Shot; 25-02-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Hi you are better fishing on the middle Tay, Dalmarnock is a decent beat and under new management

Thanks Guy, will take your comments on board.
    Looking likely we will opt for the Tay. It will be only my second time on the river. Last year was my first - on Dalmarnock as it happens.
    The beat was booked in april as a birthday present, for a date in late july/early august. There had been a drought, the river was on its bare bones and was absolutely scorching (burnt cheeks/nose).
    A nice beat, and one i will fish again one day in decent water- hopefully.

I know of Colin from the past couple of seasons he spent on the Lomond system (our local water) good guy and no surprise he headed back over the Tay when the opportunity arose.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiew View Post
    It will be only my second time on the river. Last year was my first - on Dalmarnock as it happens.

All the more reason to cast a wider net this early in your Tay sojourns ?
    But I agree that Colin is a lovely guy and Dalmarnock a picturesque bit of water.

I'd highly recommend dunkeld, if there is availability that is! One of the most beautiful beats on the river and a good amount of fish being caught!