Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it good

Default Is it good

Back end of 2014 on a number of outings on a Yorkshire river less than ten minutes from my front door.

While fishing spiders for her ladyship I have been catching Salmon fingerlings in the 5'' -8'' region in considerable numbers. This is good to see in one way but once the riparian land owners realise Salmon and Sea Trout (rumoured about s/t) are running again I can see the club fees increasing considerably or the water let on a day ticket basis putting out the range of the locals who worked the banks and fished for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalesman View Post
    Back end of 2014 on a number of outings on a Yorkshire river less than ten minutes from my front door.

While fishing spiders for her ladyship I have been catching Salmon fingerlings in the 5'' -8'' region in considerable numbers. This is good to see in one way but once the riparian land owners realise Salmon and Sea Trout (rumoured about s/t) are running again I can see the club fees increasing considerably or the water let on a day ticket basis putting out the range of the locals who worked the banks and fished for years.
    Hope the owners are not reading the forum then!!
    "You wont catch a fish if your fly's not in the water" Herbie Symons Tamar legend

Default Is it good

I can only speak for the Ure, not the Swale.

At the time the Ure Salmon Trust was launched there followed a wave of conspiratorial nonsense on various on line forums, and on one occasion in print, that the rapacious riparian owners would price the trout fraternity off the water in response to the rising value of the salmon fishing. In fact there is no evidence whatsoever to support such contentions, which in most part rest on conjecture and unsound assumptions. When challenged the complainants have never produced anything to support their claims.

Of course, as the salmon fishing improves, its price will increase apace with the catch returns. The owners are entitled to make a return on their capital. But we also must bear in mind the level of up-front investment that some of them have made to improve access and facilities; and in Bolton's case, the costs they have borne in the employment of a fishery manager and part-time ghillie. For example, providing vehicle access to and along the full length of the Thoresby beat, and constructing the 2 fishing huts was not a cheap undertaking. The estates will need to cover all those costs as well as the ongoing running costs across a 10-12 year span, and they are taking a significant risk on the salmon fishing improving enough to enable them to do so (I know - I've audited one estate's fishing business plan).

There is, however, no demonstrable linkage between the salmon fishing and the rents charged to the other anglers, clubs and societies. Legally the rights to trout and migratory fish are separate: my membership of a trout syndicate gives me no rights to sea trout or salmon.

The owners want the trout anglers to remain on the water (why throw away good cash flow?) and know that the 2 activities can operate in parallel. Furthermore, many of them have very long association with the clubs, societies and syndicates that fish their waters, and value their goodwill. There is little competition in the use of the water: what best suits salmon fishing is less than ideal for trout, and vice versa. In 4 seasons on the Ure I have only twice shared a beat with a trout angler.

So my advice would be please don't fall victim to conspiracy, unfounded assumption and dismay. The 2 activities can happily coexist and are economically independent.
    Last edited by MCXFisher; 25-02-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Northallerton angling club had to purchase the fishing rights after leasing the water for 60 years. The river at this point is what you would call a coarse fishery with Grayling and the odd Brownie.

The fishing rights where put up for sale after the EA electro fished and produced a report advising Parr where found in the river adjacent to the owners land.

Northallerton angling club had to purchase the fishing rights after leasing the water for 60 years. The river at this point is what you would call a coarse fishery with Grayling and the odd Brownie.

The fishing rights where put up for sale after the EA electro fished and produced a report advising Parr where found in the river adjacent to the owners land.
    A bit off the track, but is strange for me to hear grayling and brown trout described as coarse fish - compared to anything.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Default Is it good

Two questions if I may:

1. Was this the Swale?

2. Did the rights purchased include both trout and migratory fish?

Quote Originally Posted by miramichi View Post
    A bit off the track, but is strange for me to hear grayling and brown trout described as coarse fish - compared to anything.
    Grayling and Brownies are a plus, the Brownies are not stocked by the club.

The main fish fished for on this stretch are Barbel, chub and dace

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Two questions if I may:

1. Was this the Swale?

2. Did the rights purchased include both trout and migratory fish?
    I was a member in the 70/80's of the Northallerton club at Morton. The club does not stock Brownies and not sure about the rights to migratory fish.

I know number a couple of members bought certain sections out of there own savings for the club and the club bought the remaining. This was brought about by the EA confirming parr were present in the river and within a week the rights were up for sale and from what has been said the price tripled.

I was a member in the 70/80's of the Northallerton club at Morton. The club does not stock Brownies and not sure about the rights to migratory fish.

I know number a couple of members bought certain sections out of there own savings for the club and the club bought the remaining. This was brought about by the EA confirming parr were present in the river and within a week the rights were up for sale and from what has been said the price tripled.
    I can't comment until you've answered the two questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    I can't comment until you've answered the two questions.
    As far I am aware and told at the time the rights did include migratory fish and it is the Swale a 2.5 mile stretch 1.5 of double banking at Morton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast