Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default All love to Reiver Flash and Johnny the ghillie

I know Johnny is a member of SFF, but I don't know his username. Anyway. I had a brilliant weekend in Northumberland this weekend, hawking and fishing, and got to finally meet Reiver Flash and Johnny, ahead of fishing his Chollerton water at the end of April.

As well as being outstanding company for a drink on Saturday evening, Reiver also delivered much-needed sparkling water and co-codamol to Eltringham on Sunday. I broke the rookie rule - which one of you told me not to overindulge the night before you go salmon fishing? BAD. Reiver Flash's painkilling, hydrating services meant I could actually drive home at the end of the day. I also met the splendid beast behind his username - Reiver the cocker jubilantly humped a nonplussed Merle at every opportunity, as well as showed her what a gundog working to whistle should look like.

Really nice to meet you both - Johnny, thank you so much for the gifts for Seth, he hasn't seen them yet as they are buried in my luggage somewhere still, but thank you so much. Here is how I got on at Eltringham, if you're interested... Belated birthday weekend part II: salmon fishing, Eltringham | A Girl's Guide to Fly Fishing

The highlights for those who don't click - a hangover, some not brilliant fishing (everything felt so HEAVY!), some much better fishing and a boy who lost his first tooth.

That's a nice account of the years first outing.

Quite clearly as it stands there are some deficiencies in your technique and I recommend more drinking practise to iron out the hangover problem.

Nice photos too.

You are rolling the line up onto the surface prior to the casting sequence?

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyian View Post
    Quite clearly as it stands there are some deficiencies in your technique and I recommend more drinking practise to iron out the hangover problem.
    Never. Ever. EVER again. I still feel rough now.

You are rolling the line up onto the surface prior to the casting sequence?
    Um. No. Probably not. What does that mean?

I'm in the process of arranging a casting lesson...

First get the fish, then have a drink (or two). My golden rule, however when you get to Russia, things get mixed up pretty quickly on a daily basis.

Tight lines,
    firefly

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    Never. Ever. EVER again. I still feel rough now.

Um. No. Probably not. What does that mean?

I'm in the process of arranging a casting lesson...
    Well, if you're fishing with a floating (or not too sinky setup) you can just go straight into your lift and swing to start the next cast.

If you're fishing deep(er) it becomes impossible to lift and place the fly and line for the cast because it's too 'dug in' and any lift just pulls things a bit closer.

To get around this you can just put in a straight roll cast down the length of the line which has the effect of getting everything on the surface ready for your lift and swing. Shorter lines help with this in the earlier stages.

Well, if you're fishing with a floating (or not too sinky setup) you can just go straight into your lift and swing to start the next cast.

If you're fishing deep(er) it becomes impossible to lift and place the fly and line for the cast because it's too 'dug in' and any lift just pulls things a bit closer.

To get around this you can just put in a straight roll cast down the length of the line which has the effect of getting everything on the surface ready for your lift and swing. Shorter lines help with this in the earlier stages.
    Ah. OK. Well then yes, sort of - except my roll casts were similarly afflicted, and I also have a bad habit of just doing any old thing to get the line up and out and straight, which infuriated Chris as he (rightly) thinks I should do things properly.

One of those things that a consistent routine in technique helps, just the same as your normal cast with the addition of stage 1 - roll. Things generally are trickier and harder work the deeper you get.

Doesn't help if you're hurting and don't really want to be there!

Your blog is a great read Dee. Good to meet you. JG is Tyne Wasp. He can tell you why after you catch your first salmon at Chollerton!

Saf, a small tip learnt from experience of the same problems you are struggling with.
    When you roll your sunk line to the surface prior to your spey cast , aim the forward roll cast high at the sky , it lifts the heavy line from the water much more readily . (You can get away with a much lower angle with a floating line as it does not have to drag the line up from the water.)
    Once you get your timing, with the roll ,then sweep, then cast , it will all come together.

Quote Originally Posted by coedithel View Post
    Saf, a small tip learnt from experience of the same problems you are struggling with.
    When you roll your sunk line to the surface prior to your spey cast , aim the forward roll cast high at the sky , it lifts the heavy line from the water much more readily . (You can get away with a much lower angle with a floating line as it does not have to drag the line up from the water.)
    Once you get your timing, with the roll ,then sweep, then cast , it will all come together.
    Thank you. I am most heartened to hear other people struggle too. I felt very stupid yesterday when I couldn't do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast