Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upper arm

Default upper arm

upper arm contributing to distance - how much?

What a **** casting vid..Brute force,poor stance,daft at'!!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

a think ma money would be on him in a comp.

where do you find the spey comp fixtures?

Quote Originally Posted by compagnito View Post
    upper arm contributing to distance - how much?

cant comment as iv never cast with a rod longer than 15ft or used anything longer than 65ft head!!id love to try it though.not much to do with fishing here compi!!
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    What a **** casting vid..Brute force,poor stance,daft at'!!
    Hi Simon, there is a massive difference in competition casting with an 18ft rod and any form of standard fishing casting.
    Of course there is a certain amount of power required to manoeuvre this type of rod and line combination but the caster here is not using pure brute force, anyone relying on brute force in this type of casting can not compete with good technique.
    The technique shown here is some of the best you could see with an 18ft competition rod, Gerard is one of the most successful ever to cast a competition rod and line. If he were to tone down the gear, for example, to a 14ft 9/10wt and a 60' spey line the technique used would be much different.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Hi Simon, there is a massive difference in competition casting with an 18ft rod and any form of standard fishing casting.
    Of course there is a certain amount of power required to manoeuvre this type of rod and line combination but the caster here is not using pure brute force, anyone relying on brute force in this type of casting can not compete with good technique.
    The technique shown here is some of the best you could see with an 18ft competition rod, Gerard is one of the most successful ever to cast a competition rod and line. If he were to tone down the gear, for example, to a 14ft 9/10wt and a 60' spey line the technique used would be much different.
    Really! That spread legs apart stance doesn't look like a technique to me but then again competition casting isn't something I'm remotely interested in.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by simon grace View Post
    Really! That spread legs apart stance doesn't look like a technique to me but then again competition casting isn't something I'm remotely interested in.
    Haven't ventured into the 18ft competition casting yet myself but I know that if Gerard Downey is doing something it can't be far wrong.

Compy I don't know where you could get a schedule of all the competitions but I know that the Spey O Rama is early April in San Francisco, CLA is in July I think and the Norwegian World Championship is in August. In Ireland, the Irish Open should be on the Moy again in August and Spey O Mega in October on the Shannon. There are more that I haven't mentioned but this is all I know off the top of my head.

I notice a straight line path as the rod and line are brought back before the

D forms.......
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Haven't ventured into the 18ft competition casting yet myself but I know that if Gerard Downey is doing something it can't be far wrong.

Compy I don't know where you could get a schedule of all the competitions but I know that the Spey O Rama is early April in San Francisco, CLA is in July I think and the Norwegian World Championship is in August. In Ireland, the Irish Open should be on the Moy again in August and Spey O Mega in October on the Shannon. There are more that I haven't mentioned but this is all I know off the top of my head.
    Hi Kane, have you any Youtube clips of your own comp style, watched you doing your thing on the Shannon last back end and was hugely impressed by your casting, really economical and effortless despite the huge distances you all were putting out. Well done young man.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

10. Default

Gerard's style works very well for what he is doing.

Casting long lines required the longest of stroke lengths and you cannot achieve that with a compact casting style, every part of that style including the reaching with the top hand and the foot positioning is for a good reason.

His past successes prove that and his style is broadly similar to his peers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast