Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Fixed spool vs multiplier reel

Scottish Salmon Fishing Surgery

Hi Guys, just updated the "Spinning around" feature on the website, which can be accessed using the link above, where we look at using different types of spinning reels. We have been comparing fixed spool vs multiplier reels. We were just wondering what peoples thoughts were on which reel they prefer and why??

Simply:Both,swinging devons,heavy water ,big diameter lines a Multiplier,cranking spinners,light baits,low water,braid etc a Fixed Spool.
    Abu Multiplier,Shimano fixed spool.Sorted!
    Pedro.
    P.S and both left hand wind too-as I'm right handed,rod in right hand wind reel with left -non of this multiplier RHW ****,a reels a reel,both LHW.

Fixed spool for me. I suppose it stems from my coarse fishing background and I have always felt comfortable and confident with a fixed spool. Also with the rivers I fish I would find a multiplier over kill.

I have though been wondering if a baitcasting reel ( in essence a small multiplier ) would be fun and less troublesome for light spinning then their larger cousins.

Will have a look at your findings, always find your updates of interest

If like me you only spin when conditions dictate then a fixed reel is the the one to carry in your bag .
    I tried the multiplier and didnt take to it , you need a bit of room behind you to cast and pretty much need a heavy lure ,although you get far less back pain with a multiplier
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

You got me thinking ( so well done on that as it is Sunday ) so I have been surfing the web after reading your update ( which I enjoyed ).

I found this quite an interesting reply to the same question that you have asked and brings a new angle ( well for me it does ) into the equation.

"What size of lure will you be using?
    Although the new generation "baitcasters" can cope will a quite small lure these days, the work most efficiently with a lure which is at least half an ounce. Also if you're only casting 30ft you'll probably only be underhand lobbing the lure rather than overhead casting. This means you'll have to have quite good spool control as it won't be spinning at its optimum speed.
    If you haven't cast these reels much then you may be best to stick with the "threadline" as you may be frustrated with the amount of overruns you get - though this could be minimized by cranking down the brake and also using braids, which don't jump off the spool."

Hi Rennie, your spot on you can't beat the shimano bait runner for fixed spool and the abu ambassador for a multiplier!

Thanks for your positive comments earn angler

I'm with Rennie on this one. Did my spinning apprenticeship on the lower Wye with floating devons and 5/8 - 1oz wye leads back in the late 70's using a 6500c ABU. Providing you have the room they are superb tools for the job. We also used to spin a natural prawn with the clutch set to the lightest drag. Any fish taking the bait just pulled line before you stopped the drum with your thumb and struck. Exciting stuff

Multipliers for larger rivers and fixed spool for smaller rivers.
    Never mind casting ability, without a doubt a multiplier is a far more 'responsive' reel to play a fish on.

I have used both and enjoy both but if I had to choose just one, it would have to be the fixed spool.
    Both Diawa and Shimano produce quality reels these days but my preference for all freshwater spinning would be the ubiquitous Shimano Rarenium in 4000 and 5000 size. Totally reliable and easy to service.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast