Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Highland Route March

Last weekend took us to the Cairngorms. Arrived Friday night, checked in to the hotel, then meal &drinks. Saturday morning up early and breakfast, then drove to "glenmore lodge". Our route march started through the stunning ryvoan pass, past the "green lochan" then the "ryvoan bothy", down to the river "nethy"following the river up to "stac na h-lolaire" then through "the eagles corrie" scrambling up to the top of "mam suim" over the top, down the other side and back onto to "glenmore lodge" path and back to the car. The going was tough, rank heather and patchy snow, hard snow in places, 5-6 steps fine the 7th step up to your thighs in snow.
    Birds of interest that were encountered were waxwings,(small flock) snow buntings (small flock) golden eagles (3) peregrine falcon (1) flying over its ancestral nesting cliff, ptarmigan (4) and last but not least red and black grouse (any gods amount) saw and heard them all day!
    Remembering this is on a more or less natural moor, as it has been for hundreds of years, no heather burning, no vermin control, traps, mineral blocks etc, living in their natural habitat, I have been told from the experts here, that if these (fickle) birds stray from their cosseted moors they would be ravaged by predators and disease! This is clearly just not the case. After all 3 golden eagles were seen hunting on this one short outing, maybe some of these sturdy stock should be mixed with the "mamby pamby" Yorkshire/cumbrian stock but that's only a thought. I am not, and certainly don't claim to be any expert. in all fairness these unusually high numbers on a un keepered moor are most likely to be migrants from the nearby "dorback" and"revack" moors I would think!
    This wonderful land is all in the "abernethy nature reserve" and the rspb deserve credit for its fine existence. We took packed lunches, but took all our litter home. Like most of the population we are responsible for exhaust fumes from our car, but I will ad it is a low emission model with a 20.00 road tax so these were kept to a minimum , we also would like to think that we put some imput into the local economy as we stayed in a hotel for two nights, ate in a good restaurants, and drank as much as any man in the local pubs. It was a bit of a exhausting weekend, and was glad to get back just in time for my weekly highlight on tv "countryfile". Totally a weekend to remember.

my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

Cracking photos. Walked past the "green lochan" An Lochan Uaine manys a time on climbing trips into the Cairngorms. I am told that the green Lochan is full of leeches!

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd602 View Post
    Cracking photos. Walked past the "green lochan" An Lochan Uaine manys a time on climbing trips into the Cairngorms. I am told that the green Lochan is full of leeches!
    not heard that one! it was iced over, and didn't look very green, not like in the summer! (photo on thread) its nice country, it would take a lifetime of walking to get around it all if only 6 of the right numbers would help
    my three most successful flies are gold bodied willie gunn, gold bodied willie gunn and gold bodied willie gunn

Ryvoan is a lovely place, my second home when I lived in Aviemore. No telly or phone signal bliss

Your pictures are lovely and I am glad you care about the local rural economies and I can see you care about the environment as well when you metion taking your litter home etc ..................But when you are away up the hills what do you do with your shites and bog roll ? I presume and sincerley hope you take that back back down to Engerland as well

Quote Originally Posted by DOON ROD View Post
    Your pictures are lovely and I am glad you care about the local rural economies and I can see you care about the environment as well when you metion taking your litter home etc ..................But when you are away up the hills what do you do with your shites and bog roll ? I presume and sincerley hope you take that back back down to Engerland as well
    don't use "bog roll" always forget to bring any, have to make do with my crisp packet and as I said before, then take it home, my ***** is free fertilizer to fertilize your bonny land, so you should thank us Englanders, for keeping your little country afloat

Quote Originally Posted by marty31 View Post
    don't use "bog roll" always forget to bring any, have to make do with my crisp packet and as I said before, then take it home, my ***** is free fertilizer to fertilize your bonny land, so you should thank us Englanders, for keeping your little country afloat
    Roll of cling film is good Marty. Takes up no room, no smell and you can leave it where you want

When you're up here fertilising our land with ***** the scots will be down fertilising yer weemin with decent genetics ha ha ha !!

I wish I was fit enough

Quote Originally Posted by DOON ROD View Post
    When you're up here fertilising our land with ***** the scots will be down fertilising yer weemin with decent genetics ha ha ha !!
    "fill your boots" when your doing that we will be up there catchn all your fishies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast