Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default Well done the River Dee

Tremendous to see the River Dee providing training opportunities to help the future generations of ghillies. Another fine example of the work they do.
    River Dee News

Excellent to see this. A great way to address the 'cant get a job without experience, cant get experience without a job' dilemma.

I just hope there will be jobs for them in the long term. If things continue in the current direction, rod numbers decline and prices fall in response to catch rates I cant see there being many full time ghillies being appointed in 5 years time across Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    Excellent to see this. A great way to address the 'cant get a job without experience, cant get experience without a job' dilemma.

I just hope there will be jobs for them in the long term. If things continue in the current direction, rod numbers decline and prices fall in response to catch rates I cant see there being many full time ghillies being appointed in 5 years time across Scotland.
    Think positive, not doom and gloom,
    To many people are jumping on the bandwagon,
    Not every river is suffering, while grilse numbers where down in 2014 it was still by no means a disastrous season where I come from,
    Us salmon anglers always have to be the eternal optimist,
    But great seeing the dee doing something like this,
    I remember a collage in the highlands offering ghilling/river managment along with there gamekeeper course, never really took off,
    I just really don't think younger people are that interested in salmon fishing these days,
    You need to have a real interest in fishing and a passion to a certain degree to become a ghillie, because the wages are not the best, it is usually the perks of the job that make it that little more worth while,
    I'm in my mid 30's and growing up there was at least 15/20 of us trout fishing,sea fishing and eventually getting into salmon fishing,and most of them stuck at the salmon fishing,myself included.
    I look around these days and in last couple of years I have seen little or no intrest frm younger generation,
    I fear as people grow older and pass on from this life into the next there will be a gradual decrease in game angling numbers.

I so so hope I'm wrong Noodles. I really do. It would be devastating to see Scottish salmon fishing decline they way I've suggested it might. The jobs, the tradition, the culture. The initiative is welcome as I said. But, why is it needed? Perhaps because people aren't as they have in the past been so keen to enter the profession. It's uncertain and insecure in the current environment.

If you were setting out on a working life would you consider a career on Scottish rivers just now? I'd be very cautious to be sure. Have you seen the number of rods available still for the early spring. Can you imagine it will be any better next Feb. after this year's start? If you were an estate would you be thinking about appointing a FT ghillie for Feb 2016 if you had a vacancy to fill? Some of them have hardly had a rod to work with this season as yet. It may become untenable as a business proposition. Of the for rods I fished with in feb none of them are returning for their week next year and we were the only rods on the beats all week. The only rods in the hotel.

I do hope it's only a Feb thing but just for now I think I'd be looking for a new job elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    I so so hope I'm wrong Noodles. I really do. It would be devastating to see Scottish salmon fishing decline they way I've suggested it might. The jobs, the tradition, the culture. The initiative is welcome as I said. But, why is it needed? Perhaps because people aren't as they have in the past been so keen to enter the profession. It's uncertain and insecure in the current environment.

If you were setting out on a working life would you consider a career on Scottish rivers just now? I'd be very cautious to be sure. Have you seen the number of rods available still for the early spring. Can you imagine it will be any better next Feb. after this year's start? If you were an estate would you be thinking about appointing a FT ghillie for Feb 2016 if you had a vacancy to fill? Some of them have hardly had a rod to work with this season as yet. It may become untenable as a business proposition. Of the for rods I fished with in feb none of them are returning for their week next year and we were the only rods on the beats all week. The only rods in the hotel.

I do hope it's only a Feb thing but just for now I think I'd be looking for a new job elsewhere.
    The biggest problem I find with fishing on the whole is everyone looks to the bigger rivers a a guide as what to expect, the dee is not having the best of starts and the helmsdale is up to 3 so far which is down on last year but is ahead of other years up to this time in the past,
    There is no doubt there are less fish these last couple of seasons, but I'm not ready to panic just because the dee and the tay are having a slow start.
    But you are correct in what you say about wanting to become a ghillie.
    With the ongoing fisheries review and licence to kill coming sooner rather than later it seems, and runs of fish by no means that great I wouldn't want to train as a ghillie right now,
    But if someone Young and keen enough has a passion for it then I think the government should put money back into developing a young ghillies programme or something of the like.
    Because without Young ghillies coming threw in 20 years time we will be stuck with ghillies that are there because it a job and money and nothing more than that to them.
    A ghillie without any real intrest or passion is not good