Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Trophy shots

Default Trophy shots

Incredible detail in these paintings from NZ artist Martin Simpson,

Martin Simpson

Nice alternative to a 'grip and grin' if you got the spare lolly.

Now those are something! But a long way away sadly.

Its a great skill to produce painting like those but I dont see the point of fine art nowadays with the use of top end cameras and a good photo editor. Much prefer something a bit looser in style. But what do I know.
    Art is very personal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    Its a great skill to produce painting like those but I dont see the point of fine art nowadays with the use of top end cameras and a good photo editor. Much prefer something a bit looser in style. But what do I know.
    Art is very personal thing.
    Just what I was going to say. From the artist's point of view, they are incredible representations. From a customer's, presumably the artist copies them from a photo taken - why would you not just blow this up and put it on the wall? Much cheaper.

Does this make me a philistine? I've always preferred photography to painted art though.

Steven Townsend Prints, Collect ArtWatching and Waiting by Steven Townsend, Dog Painting for sale.

For me there is something special in a picture that is well done.
    Steven Townsend paints some great pictures of gun dogs and collies mainly.
    First time I saw his pictures I thought they were photos. He also captures the landscape well.
    With a painting , it's the work that has gone into it as well that for me makes a difference.
    A good photo is good too, but if I was going to hang it on the wall it would be a painting every time.
    If the URL hasnt worked just check Steven Townsend out on the web.
    Last edited by Chicharito; 20-02-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Default Trophy shots

With a decent camera those type of shots can also be created in "Photo Shop" a fairly professional photo editing programme. You would be amazed at what can be created with a little manipulation of a real photo..

Like this 18 Brilliant Photo Manipulations by Erik Johansson | Bored Panda

CORONA