Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20

Default A fish is a fish

In my opinion the obsession with colour, condition, spawned/ unspawned blaah fish is tiresome. Just go fishing and if ye are returning your catch take good care of them and understand best practise for catch and release. If ye catch a nice one take a quick pic if ye must but don't bother with looking for approval on the internet as to whether its an acceptable catch or not. It don't matter if it arrived before christmas or is on its way back to sea just enjoy your day out on the water. I have seen so many people pros, ghillies etc wrong and unsure about what a fish is that surely as we move more and more towards not eating them it doesn't really matter. I'm not saying that a 20lbs bar o' silver isn't special but leave off the picture analysis!
    Last edited by silver dabbler; 18-02-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Go on then, show us your picture!

Seriously though, I fish to have a pull and while I'll try to avoid targeting kelts I would rather a kelt than a blank. Especially on a wet windy day.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by silver dabbler View Post
    In my opinion the obsession with colour, condition, spawned/ unspawned blaah fish is tiresome. Just go fishing and if ye are returning your catch take good care of them and understand best practise for catch and release. If ye catch a nice one take a quick pic if ye must but don't bother with looking for approval on the internet as to whether its an acceptable catch or not. It don't matter if it arrived before christmas or is on its way back to sea just enjoy your day out on the water. I have seen so many people pros, ghillies etc wrong and unsure about what a fish is that surely as we move more and more towards not eating them it doesn't really matter. I'm not saying that a 20lbs bar o' silver isn't special but leave off the picture analysis!
    Problem is we need to record them in the book if they are clean

Quote Originally Posted by clacksranger View Post
    Problem is we need to record them in the book if they are clean
    Over here we count them all the same. We only see the bright silver fish for about 60 days and then those from the 70 days left in our season are almost entirely colored to one degree or another. We think of them all as lovely, you can't beat the fight of silver fish!
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright