Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  157
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: C&R

Default C&R

Probably been covered but can any sane person if any lol tell me why the law has dictated that even if a fish is dead upon un hooking it has still to be returned to the water? Who dreams up these rules?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

done to death, but I agree it's crackers. I would rather be take my chance of getting caught then watch a bleeding fish sulk off into a pool. Problem comes as some folk would kill it and say it was bleeding.

Forum member Safranfoer wrote a good reply on this very topic not long ago

Copy and paste from her post

Quote Originally Posted by Safranfoer View Post
    Dead or dying fish have to be returned by law. They become part of the food chain though by scavenging fish, and their rotting carcasses enrich the water environment. See: A different kind of fish toss: Planting dead salmon to enrich a watershed | OregonLive.com

"When they migrate back to natal streams and die, decomposition releases calcium, phosphorous and nitrogen into the water, enriching streams with nutrients that feed algae, aquatic insects and juvenile salmon.

The salmon goodness spreads to plants and wildlife. Studies of some old confer trees growing near rivers have revealed marine nitrogen isotopes that could only have come from rotting salmon."

Full thread can be viewed here http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...tml#post759910
    Last edited by Finnjoki; 17-02-2015 at 06:13 PM.

I suspect it is this way for,well dare I say it. Those few in the angling community that are ill of the truth. "It was a bleeder so I chapped it hoping deep down he or she can retain the fish.

Its to discourage illegal take of 'bleeders' who may not be actually bleeding. Same reason ya cant sell wild game (or can you in Britain?) -- to discourage poaching.
    Heero just pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Probably been covered but can any sane person if any lol tell me why the law has dictated that even if a fish is dead upon un hooking it has still to be returned to the water? Who dreams up these rules?

I would imagine so it is black and white,Otherwise you would get people cutting the gills declaring it as a bleeder.

How can you still justify this when you are fishing a C&R river anyway. I thought that any such fish was gifted to the estate

It simply takes away the defence of it was bleeding. No excuses now the fish go back regardless. It creates a level playing field. It might seem futile to some but that's the way it is and in my opinion its correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I suspect it is this way for,well dare I say it. Those few in the angling community that are ill of the truth. "It was a bleeder so I chapped it hoping deep down he or she can retain the fish.
    Without doubt that is the reason. If a dead fish has to be returned to the river then there is no incentive to kill it.

So you are fishing with mates and a "dead" fresh fish goes by.
    You lift it, put it on your disposable barbie and eat it, the guts etc go into the river food chain.
    What law are you breaking?
    Mike
    Last edited by clydesider; 17-02-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast