Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default 7 or 8 weight line for 7/8 weight rod for trout and grilse

I'm looking to buy a guideline 4 cast line for my 11.3 daiwa 7/8 rod for seatrout and grilse and rainbow trout now and again on small spate river and trout fisheries would I be better with the 7 or 8 weight line wf floating not sure weather to go the lighter end or higher end of rating for overhead casts

Default Line Weight

I remember how confusing all the line ratings were when I first started fly fishing.

Now I am able to put out a bit of a line I use the following system:
    If I am looking for distance then I generally use one line weight less than the rod rating, or the lower figure for dual rated rods - This lets me carry a slightly longer head when casting.
    If I am fishing at short range then I would use a line weight higher than the rod rating, or the higher figure for dual rated rods - This loads the rod better at short range.
    If your not looking for either extreme then match the line to the rod rating, or use whichever suits you best for a dual rated rod.

I have a Guideline 4Cast floating line, which I think is a great line, and use a 7 weight on a 7/8 rod. I believe that the 4Cast lines are slightly heavier than the line rating, by about half a line weight, to assist in loading the rod.

If I was a competent caster then personally I would go for the 7 weight, but this would depend on the waters I was fishing and the distance I was looking to cast. If I was a beginner then I might be tempted to opt for the 8 weight.

The Guideline 4Cast is a very easy casting line with not to long a head.

Hope this helps......
    Last edited by Dazza; 17-02-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

Hi I would say I was a decent caster so I might go for the 7 line as it will be used with smallish flies thanks for reply on guideline 4 cast line as I've not used a guideline flyline before and the info on this line so thanks for that