Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Reels in hand luggage

off to Argentina on Wednesday night and the usual question is around taking reels on as hand luggage. I normally do but things do change. T5 at Heathrow is where I am leaving from and hopefully the reels are allowed but I can find no definitive answer on any security/ airport website.
    And suggestions or recent experience welcomed

Leaving it a bit late just pick the phone up and ask

Security more often get excited about the line rather than the reel.

Lucky Bugga - Enjoy your trip , sorry no advice to give - tight lines !

Quote Originally Posted by worktofish View Post
    Leaving it a bit late just pick the phone up and ask
    I would if I knew who to call and could get a consistent answer

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
    Security more often get excited about the line rather than the reel.
    Not sure how a line could be any more dangerous than a phone charger.

I fully agree. A phone charger cable however is only a foot or two long, fishing/fly line is considerably longer. I looked into getting a couple of lines through security as hand luggage recently and in the end decided against it, wasnt worth losing expensive lines over. You might strike lucky of course and your reels and lines may go straight through the scanner and the operator not question them. At the end of the day, security can pretty much confiscate whatever they like, if the think it could be used to compromise safety onboard.

I think it is ridiculous that people can't carry reels in hand luggage . They are no more a threat than a man armed with a shoe lace or pen . I even hear sad tales of people having their flies or hooks confiscated. We should ban burkhas instead of fishing stuff at airports .

Quote Originally Posted by DOON ROD View Post
    I think it is ridiculous that people can't carry reels in hand luggage . They are no more a threat than a man armed with a shoe lace or pen . I even hear sad tales of people having their flies or hooks confiscated. We should ban burkhas instead of fishing stuff at airports .
    Any other forms of lethal clothing we should ban?
    A tie is way more effective if you want to strangle a person.

On topic, a friend of mine had to leave a wallet of sinking leaders behind. Security staff obviously saw the risk of a skagit murder taking place.

Ive not had a problem carrying the stuff on anywhere save the Scandinavian countries where they made me check my rods and reels. Once on a layover in Reykjavik they made me hand them my rods which I had carried on in the States. I gave slight protest but realizing it a bad idea to argue handed them over and they were then given back to me before I boarded the plane. So too dangerous for the airport but ok for the plane, I guess? I thought these people were supposed to Vikings -- What did they think I was going to do, conquer their country on my layover using my fly rod tubes to beat them silly?

The Swedes made me relinquish my rods, as well.

On the other end of the spectrum, I once has a layover in some German airport, Munich maybe, where I had an airline security agent deem me not a risk and ok to fly with a knife. I used to carry a small knife on my keychain. Came in handy for all sorts of things. Well, I forgot to take it off the keys prior to boarding a plane. I guess not a problem in the States since our security didnt mind. But in Germany the fella at the security scanner picked up the keys, opened the knife, gave me a good look, looked back at the knife, gave me another look, then closed it up and sent me on my way. I guess I didnt look dangerous or suspicious. Mustve been my smile, bright green eyes, and overall jolly demeanor.

So in conclusion, Ive no idea if you are able to carry on rods and reels on your flight. I hope Ive been of help.
    Last edited by Heero; 17-02-2015 at 03:49 AM.
    Heero just pawn in game of life.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast