Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    3,054

    Default Diawa Whisker 12ft: Is it a Switch Rod?!

    Hi All,

    I have just 'relocated' a 12ft 8/9 Diawa Whisker of mine in the loft (probably 5 or 6 years' old and in brand new nick), and it got me thinking.

    I was thinking about getting a new Switch Rod for my week on the Alness this year (Shakespeare Oracle or similar), but I reckon teamed with a nice new No.8 (or even 9) Shooting Head, The Diawa will do the trick and save me a few quid.

    So, the question is, is a Switch Rod just a rebranded short double-hander?

    Cheers all...

    Oscar.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Hi All,

    I have just 'relocated' a 12ft 8/9 Diawa Whisker of mine in the loft (probably 5 or 6 years' old and in brand new nick), and it got me thinking.

    I was thinking about getting a new Switch Rod for my week on the Alness this year (Shakespeare Oracle or similar), but I reckon teamed with a nice new No.8 (or even 9) Shooting Head, The Diawa will do the trick and save me a few quid.

    So, the question is, is a Switch Rod just a rebranded short double-hander?

    Cheers all...

    Oscar.
    It's a switch rod if the marketing dept says so, not until!

    I don't have a switch but I do have a 12' Diawa that I use on Alness sized rivers.

    I found that it didn't really cast that well until I put an AFS on it - then it was ok - not great, just ok. (It's a Signature) But it's certainly nice to fish with such a light double hander.

    I believe the switches are rated on the single handed scale - so be cautious if you were going to buy a switch line, you'll need a dh rated line.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west london
    Posts
    627

    Default

    perfect for the alness oscar ,but as mentioned be careful regarding line purchase. what week you going ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    peterhead aberdeenshire
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Switch rod , you can switch from single handed casting to double handed casting , the switch lines are lighter than your normal salmon lines .
    Cheers Patrick

  5. #5

    Default

    I would call that rod a double hander, and it would be a good one at that!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cirencester
    Posts
    3,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve harrison View Post
    perfect for the alness oscar ,but as mentioned be careful regarding line purchase. what week you going ?
    18th - 25th October. Can't bloody wait, looks an amazing place!

    So, now I'm confused, and probably showing my ignorance! Firstly I didn't know single and double handed lines were different (I just thought DH heavier lines were essentially fit for Spey casting), and secondly, not a clue which I should be going for!

    I have an AFS for my 14ft'er, which I like, and fancy the idea of that sort of 'weight' on the 12ft'er.

    So, anybody recommend short DH spey lines/Shooting Heads? How about the Norris Atlantic Integrated SH lines, which look pretty good value?

    Cheers all. Oscar.

  7. #7

    Default

    I have one of these, grand rod , gluton for punishment, probably has not got the recovery of more modern rods, definitely not a switch unless your Arnold Shwarznager, but would be in no way found wanting on spate rivers or Summer lows, a 1d I found goes very well on it no doubt short heads would also.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west london
    Posts
    627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    18th - 25th October. Can't bloody wait, looks an amazing place!

    So, now I'm confused, and probably showing my ignorance! Firstly I didn't know single and double handed lines were different (I just thought DH heavier lines were essentially fit for Spey casting), and secondly, not a clue which I should be going for!

    I have an AFS for my 14ft'er, which I like, and fancy the idea of that sort of 'weight' on the 12ft'er.

    So, anybody recommend short DH spey lines/Shooting Heads? How about the Norris Atlantic Integrated SH lines, which look pretty good value?

    Cheers all. Oscar.
    i think you need to find someone who has the same rod for line advice. you def dont need a spey line for the alness but some short heads

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gods County
    Posts
    4,624

    Default

    Lets be perfectly honest here,most "switch rods" are just smaller double handers and I'd say a bigger %age are used just that way.I have 2 and both of mine are used exactly as that-little double handers.Whats the difference between say a Sage Method 11ft 9 8weight and Oscars Diawa Whisker 12ft 8/9 weight-apart from the grade of carbon and fittings and maybe weight,probably not much in terms of real use.Wouldn't want to use either overheading for long really.Ok one's a true 2 hander and the other's a pretender,but you'd use both of them in the same circumstances for the same target species maybe even in the same way!.
    If you want a cool line for it Oscar the Rio Scandi Short Versi Tip will fill every requirement,thats at the higher end of the price scale-ouch!, or the Airflo Scandi Compact will positively fly out on it for less brass.
    What ever the label,enjoy,won't make any difference,Pedro,

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carnwath
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Definitely a small double hander you could do try an 8/9 afs through the rod I don't think that would be far away

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •