Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14

Default Future of taking Wild Salmon in Scotland

Last weeks Annandale Observer had a front page article headed "Salmon Crisis Talks". In the article it refers to a proposed Scottish Government regulation, currently being consulted on, which would make the killing of any wild salmon in any part of Scotland, by any method, illegal except under licence. How it will work and what effect it will have on the nets men and rod fishers I don't know. I can see the first and easiest move will be to make all rivers "Catch and Release." The nets men will have their own battle between the half netters which is considered a hobby and the stake nets. The Annan District Salmon Fishery Board Director is quoted as saying. "Based upon recent catches and the condition of the Eden and Border Esk, which are both failing their conservation limits I think it would be difficult to argue for a quota of anything. I would also struggle to see an argument for any licence being permitted, and I would struggle to see a quota for the in-river fishery as well."

For information I have seen there are Links to the Gorvernment proposals in page 3 under the River Annan on the "Scottish Rivers thread.

Make up your own minds!

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Surely there is no future - because of all the chappers in the past the taking gene has been lost

Seriously though:

When the rabble rousers get hold of an untrue story, or misrepresent data, and fan the flames of scaremongerism, and the unholy triumverate join hands again, government, aquaculture and the "salmon conservation sector", the writing is on the wall.

They will ban it and Callander McDowell will hold a party for the winners!

PS - Conservation Limits are a good example of how governments and their allies can misuse statistics to show anything they want: http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...read80340.html

In fact, Border Esk is actually one of the best performing rivers in the NW - in terms of rod catch and CPUE - so perhaps the Annan DSFB Director needs to check their primary facts rather than parrot something seemingly worthless

PPS - In retrospect, perhaps anglers should have realised they have more in common with netsmen (cropping wild, organic, sustainable salmon) than salmon farmers (anything but).

Game over...
    Last edited by seeking; 20-10-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: "they" not "you"
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

And where have conservation limits suddenly appeared from?

Have we always had them, how are they assessed and set by whom?

The bottom line is rod & line fishing using legal and legitimate methods has never been a threat to fish stocks because of the nature of salmon in rivers and the sheer inefficiency of the method itself.

Many rivers have recovered from very low stock levels despite rod & line anglers taking fish for the pot during that time. Further proof, if any is needed, is the fact that rivers with near enough 100 % C & R for many years and others in the high 80`s range aren`t performing any better these last couple of years than rivers with lower rates.

Despite this, all the leading salmon organisations, wealthy owners & friends, guiding industry representatives, fish farmers and now national governments No 1 main ( already failed ?) strategy appears to be : -
    Come down hard and strangle with bureaucracy & tackle limitations any angler who still enjoys retaining and eating the odd fresh run fish.

Government issued "Kill" licences and tags for rod and line anglers, what is that all about !? One can only imagine the bureaucratic jumping thro` hoops and dodgy science that will entail and for what ends ? Will this " conservation" system eventually be run out for rod & line anglers fishing for more endangered species like cod , haddock , bass etc. ?

Surely the only tags that should be required is for the sale of salmon i.e salmon offered for sale should be tagged in order to properly control that market.
    Last edited by salmo76; 16-02-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salmo76 View Post
    The bottom line is rod & line fishing using legal and legitimate methods has never been a threat to fish stocks because of the nature of salmon in rivers and the sheer inefficiency of the method itself.

Many rivers have recovered from very low stock levels despite rod & line anglers taking fish for the pot during that time. Further proof, if any is needed, is the fact that rivers with near enough 100 % C & R for many years and others in the high 80`s range aren`t performing any better these last couple of years than rivers with lower rates.

Despite this, all the leading salmon organisations, wealthy owners & friends, guiding industry representatives, fish farmers and now national governments No 1 main ( already failed ?) strategy appears to be : -
    Come down hard and strangle with bureaucracy & tackle limitations any angler who still enjoys retaining and eating the odd fresh run fish.

Government issued "Kill" licences and tags for rod and line anglers, what is
    that all about !? One can only imagine the bureaucratic jumping thro` hoops and dodgy science that will entail and for what ends ? Will this " conservation" system eventually be run out for rod & line anglers fishing for more endangered species like cod , haddock , bass etc. ?

Surely the only tags that should be required is for the sale of salmon i.e salmon offered for sale should be tagged in order to properly control that market.
    Great post salmo.
    The move to clamp down on the selling of salmon back in the day was a total bind for many including myself (TBF), and also many of the current movers and shakers who still want to fish more than work and now make a different living out of prostituting the salmon.
    I'll say again that the decision to drop our pants and let the government kick our salmon fishing goolies was the worst decision we have ever made

I really do look forward to reading how many fishermen respond to the consultation.

Not many I would bet.

So what are you going to do about the problems anglers are facing in the future if government gets it's way (a) will we continue moaning and disputing the rights and wrongs of what is going to be forced upon us (b)sign another petition or write a letter of discontent (c) get out and protest.
    Are salmon anglers united in being against proposals being set.
    Do you think if push comes to shove, would salmon anglers stick together in big enough numbers to be heard, or would there be a split in anglers beliefs as not to be united? Would you take a year out from salmon fishing to get your point across!!

Just wondering how far you would go to fight for your right to be heard and have a say in what happens on our rivers (within reason of course).
    0r is it all pointless debate?
    What you think