Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shoting Head Vandalism

Just got two JN shooting heads with integrated running line.

Would it be crazy to cut off the running line to use and keep the heads separate so as to not have to take up two more reels/spools if ye ken?

Wouldn't have thought it crazy, just a tad irrational. Begs the obvious question... why didn't you buy separate heads in the first place? Or were they a very cheap bargain?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spruce; 15-02-2015 at 07:01 PM.

not crazy!the Rio outbound/AFS which iv been told the JN heads are modelled on has only around 6inches rear taper!!a nice neat braided loop and away ye go

i did this to a mates outbound as he had stood on and damaged the running line( around 15ft in)braided loop on,cut damaged running line off ,all he does now is buy heads rather than the integrated lines
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

As they're cheap at the mo.(£19.95 ish) and they have a very good reputation I'd say deffo. go for it compy , the 1ips hover will make a reet cracking shooting head when coupled with 10ft polys.,very much in the mould of the Guideline Double Density hover/inty.
    Pedro.

will the old bill drury multi tip line be the same if you just cut off the blue part[head] and use the pink part as a running line with a loop.

Default hardy 12ft t doublehander

Any suggestions best spey line to suit above rod?bought to use on small rivers.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Shooting heeeds Compo, whatevuur next, didn't one once say "tae use ather thun the DT or prefurrebly silk leen - yeeeer cheatin yerrr weeselll"

PS - chop 'em up
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Default core

whats the core on those JN heads?

As we know compy - those Sommerly MSW salmon are not wee grilse hey and you only catch big fish!
    Itís funny whats happening to us.
    Our lives have become digital -
    our friends, now virtual
    and everything you could ever want to know
    is just a click away.
    Experiencing the world through this endless second hand information isnít enough -
    if we want authenticity Ė WE have to initiate it.

Been thinking something similar - but the other way round.

I've got an #8 DH that I use on a couple of small rivers. I use an AFS sh which is ideal - easy to cast in confined areas and since there's no distance involved minimal stripping (for me the potential deal killer for SH when fishing at range)

It's the head only ie not an outbound with the running line attached. I'm now thinking that I should get an attached head (I really dislike the joint going through the rings with a fish on) Since it's a small river and I don't think anything more sinky than a floater (with polys and tubes if ness) is required, so the joined up nature wouldn't lose me flexibility.

Compy, if you cut and loop you get more flexibility but the anguish of the joint through the rings. Just consider how often you think you'd really need to change head vs the joint problem. For my small river fishing I think I'd change to what you've currently got from what you're contemplating.

I would agree with Ossyian. There would be no problem in cutting off the running line and using all the heads on one reel and one running line.

The problem would be in low flows on smaller rivers where you have to work the fly to give it movement. You will then often be stripping the head into the tip ring and there are advantages in a smooth connection from an integrated line. It might be worth keeping the floating line and hover line as integrated lines and cutting the sinking heads as they are more likely used in higher waters where you don't have to work the fly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast