Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help required Gent's

My favourite early season rod Guideline AWM 14' 9" is getting long in the tooth, so decided to buy the Exceed at 14' 8" as a replacement for it.

Had it out on Wednesday - and just couldn't get on with it at all. To the extent that I'm still feeling sore........!

The AWM has always been the 'idiots rod', (my mates' description when they first cast it many years ago.....then they all promptly bought one!!) A great rod to cast - just basically flick the line off the tip and it would fly.

Tried the Exceed with many lines the other day - seems to be plenty power there, but just something 'up' with the tip. No matter how hard I tried couldn't get anything near tight loop. Handed the rod to a couple of guys who are much better casters than myself, they we're having the same problem! All I could say was that the tip felt 'soft'???

Any suggestions - or is there going to be a cheap rod on classifieds soon?
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    My favourite early season rod Guideline AWM 14' 9" is getting long in the tooth, so decided to buy the Exceed at 14' 8" as a replacement for it.

Had it out on Wednesday - and just couldn't get on with it at all. To the extent that I'm still feeling sore........!

The AWM has always been the 'idiots rod', (my mates' description when they first cast it many years ago.....then they all promptly bought one!!) A great rod to cast - just basically flick the line off the tip and it would fly.

Tried the Exceed with many lines the other day - seems to be plenty power there, but just something 'up' with the tip. No matter how hard I tried couldn't get anything near tight loop. Handed the rod to a couple of guys who are much better casters than myself, they we're having the same problem! All I could say was that the tip felt 'soft'???

the guideline act ! never rated by anyone cheap as chips and nice to use think there was or is one on here ,not mine i should add ! i used one last year due to a rod breakage borrowed off a mate ,he had never used it either ,we were both pleasantly suprised .anyway worked for me

could be the recovery rate of the rod is different to what your used too!!
    try loosening your grip of the rod immediately after the stop on the forward stroke,this has the effect of dampening the rod quicker
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    could be the recovery rate of the rod is different to what your used too!!
    try loosening your grip of the rod immediately after the stop on the forward stroke,this has the effect of dampening the rod quicker
    Surely more straightforward to just buy a new rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Strathglass View Post
    Lol - trust me when I say that the thought has already crossed my mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by Strathglass View Post
    no fun in that!!
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post

If it doesn't "feel right" to you, then it doesn't suit your casting style . (We all have that problem, it's called marriage )

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    no fun in that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Holroyd View Post
    If it doesn't "feel right" to you, then it doesn't suit your casting style . (We all have that problem, it's called marriage )
    Oops, mrs H might have read this ,,,,,,ooops, goodby ,and thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Holroyd View Post
    Dinnae worry Jack - have just forwarded that reply to your good wife. She was kind enough to reply immediately telling me that you are grounded for the 2015/16 season!

Bless her wee cotton socks - she's just given me all your fishing....could you thank her for me please?

Westie,if you are resigned to a new rod,the 15ft LPXe is very very close to the 14ft 9 AWM -they measure the same length in reality.I have both rods,the AWM I had 1st, unfortunately I've broken my AWM and theres no spares left now sadly.The LPXe is just a bit better than the AWM all round,it has just a bit more of every thing without being too far away.The lines you have will work just fine on an LPXe so you should be ok there.For Scandi shooting heads its very hard to beat!.
    I still have and use a 14ft AWM and love it.Agree with you,they're an idiots rod,make it easy for anyone to use.
    Best of luck,Pedro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast