Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wading stick, no wading stick ?

Today, as part of checking out a lower Spey beat, I witnessed three anglers doing a balancing act in a Spey flowing with a good bit of colour and push in it. No way would I have been where they were without a stick to lean on.

I also saw recently, on Reporting Scotland TV, an Australian angler in the Tay doing a nice shimmy down a streamy bit of water. This guy was part of the World Fishing Tournament no less !!

Why dont people use wading sticks, especially those occasional anglers or those who dont appreciate how powerful our bigger streams can be.

I am sure some people's fishing would be more pleasurable and may just save their lives if they used a stick...............maybe something for the instructors/ghillies to encourage.

Light the blue touchpaper and retire.

Scotview
    Last edited by Scotview; 11-06-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Quite right Scotview, managed to inflate my lifejacket a couple of weeks ago on the Spey when I did not have my stick with me (second day) stick never left my side after that

What a difference a stick makes in rocky water, makes for much more pleasurable fishing
    Tomorrow is another day, so is the next

If there's anything, apart from leaking waders, that makes my day's fishing uncomfortable, it's a wading stick.

If I'm not tripping on it, it's playing absolute havoc with my line-management with coils of retrieved line getting caught around the top of the stick. And then there's the nuisance value when you try retreating to the bank whilst playing a thumping big fish on a double handed rod.

I'm lucky though to have full mobility and to be very steady on my feet. A stick is a very necessary piece of kit for many people and of course they should use one.

I often feel when looking at people using them that they are over-wading, using the stick to probe the way, going in too deep and disturbing fish off their lies. Learning to cast a long enough line to negate the need for a lot of wading is a very good idea I reckon.

Fully agree. Use my stick all the time now that my legs are ropey and even though I only wade knee deep. No problems with the current, just helps me keep my balance.

do people who wade normally wear a life jacket? Never have and just wondering what other people do

There are some rivers, or at least major parts of it that it would be folly to go wading without one. Some stretchs of the Spey and Dee comes to mind in particular, some beats being lethal.

Got to agree with Crispin 100% ...... wade less, cast further.

My personal view is the river is for salmon to swim in, not anglers to flounder in, think safe, stay alive.

Default Definitely a wading stick man.....

Apart from the obvious uses I feel properly armed when faced with a herd of bullocks!!!!

Although I'm new to the game I would not fish without both a wading stick and life jacket. It might just be because I've only fished the Wye and Usk, but with the size of the boulders and drop off's you face I believe it would be madness to try without. Better to be a safe angler than a dead one.

Carl

I think that most people that have problems using a wading stick is that it is not properly weighted for the river they are wading. I fish the Spey in early spring and the Sharpes heavy stick is a "god send" -- because of it's weight it holds to the bottom and stays where you put it -always to hand when you stumble.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast