Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  20

Default Doubling Hackles

Some folks have a bit of trouble when doubling hackles.....here is a video which is worth watching

Fish where there is most fish and you are 90% there to becoming a successful angler.

I bought the Future fly tool - it's OK - but for most hackles I tend to use Pot Belly Kev's method and that works for me. Nothing to buy - just use hackle pliers and the fingers

Last edited by DrPatrickT; 14-11-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Pot Belly Kev was a topper of a lad. Tied a lovely fly as well. Wonder what heís up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPoker View Post
    Pot Belly Kev was a topper of a lad. Tied a lovely fly as well. Wonder what heís up to now?
    He was and local to me yet I still have no idea who he was in real life. He made a great input to the forum in his time here. I believe he got a hard time from some members and decided to leave.(Plus ca change ) Bloody shame as he was a great tier and put loads of effort into his sbs's.

I still use his method for doubling my hackles - just a shame I can't tie like he did!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    He was and local to me yet I still have no idea who he was in real life. He made a great input to the forum in his time here. I believe he got a hard time from some members and decided to leave.(Plus ca change ) Bloody shame as he was a great tier and put loads of effort into his sbs's.

I still use his method for doubling my hackles - just a shame I can't tie like he did!
    I think it was mainly PBKís health that led to his leaving the forum , Andy.
    He certainly was very poorly the last time we conversed.
    That was years ago now , and I havenít heard anything from him for some considerable time.
    Last edited by ibm59; 15-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Itís a shame. Comes across as really good guy and he tied some belters. Itís the best practical folding technique that I found - hence I always reference it if someone asks.

A few years back I used to call in and see Jimmy and Gloria Younger. Jimmy, who is sadly no longer with us, showed me how to double hackles, you would not believe just how fast he was at doubling them. I have also got to say that Gloria who is also a superb fly tier and just as good as Jimmy was at doubling hackles....really nice couple and a pleasure to have known them
    Fish where there is most fish and you are 90% there to becoming a successful angler.

Wots a hackle?.
    Alright, alright, me coats on the rack, I'm going!
    Pedro.

I was fortunate to have met up with him three times for a wee blether and we swapped some fishing gear and tying materials I had going spare. Lovely guy and his tying is/was fantastic.
    I'll ask around and see if anyone has some up-to-date info on him....