Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Most frustrating Thing in Fly Tying

Ok guys heres one for beginners and experts alike.

Whats the one thing that really makes you wanna scream, pull your hair out, throw the dummy out of the pram get up and walk away from the vice with steam coming out of your ears

i have a few

Tie in the hackle tip first after back stroking your just about to start to wind and the tip breaks!!!!

but the one that really gets me is thread breakages especially just as im about to finish off the head jesus h christ i hate that

Quote Originally Posted by FaughanPurple View Post
    Ok guys heres one for beginners and experts alike.

Whats the one thing that really makes you wanna scream, pull your hair out, throw the dummy out of the pram get up and walk away from the vice with steam coming out of your ears

i have a few

Tie in the hackle tip first after back stroking your just about to start to wind and the tip breaks!!!!

but the one that really gets me is thread breakages especially just as im about to finish off the head jesus h christ i hate that
    Have to agree hackles breaking are 1 of the most annoying things ever. The other is when using silver tinsel for the body and it breaks just as you doing your last turn ARGH

Forgetting the ribbing is a good one. I have recently switched to 12/0 gelspun thread for most of my tying. Breakages are a thing of the past with this, although it is a little slippery and if you pull too hard it will cut through a plastic tube like cheese wire.

A while ago I ruined several fully tied flies by over heating the tubing in front of the cone, causing it to melt the tube and the tying thread to collapse the tube. Now that is annoying- They had to go in the bin!
    Last edited by TyneTraveller; 16-11-2007 at 12:33 PM.
    The next one could be a monster.

so many to choose from.........

thread breaking
    JC moving and noticing it too late
    hackle slipping as its being wound
    forgetting elements
    spilling varnish
    cutting fingers with craft blade
    my children's offers of help
    tying with my father (oh, you do it like that)
    forgetting to put in tube liner at start and setting fly on fire when burring liner

Finishing the fly and thinking it looks good then that sinking feeling when I notice I've forgotten a hackle or even the tail

All of the above

I find that a wee dab of nose grease on the bobbin holder can minimise thread breakages.
    The most annoying one for me is where a body has a flat tinsel rib. You catch it in at the tail, carefully select a nice hackle for palmering up the body and tie it in, wind floss/dubbing neatly for a nice tapering body. You then wind the hackle up the body. Then.... just as you start to wind the tinsel rib... it breaks at the point it is tied in.... aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh ya ffff...........!!!!!

glad to see im not alone

Another of mine is getting the dynamics wrong and realising i havent left enough room for a head!!!!whole thing gets scrapped!!!!

Tying with trebles and getting impaled thumbs while trying to do Bann Specials and the like, Guess thats why i tie mainly on doubles now!!!!

slippages, unravels and even wrong colours have all happened.

does anyone ask themselves occasionally why the hell we do it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FaughanPurple View Post
    glad to see im not alone

Another of mine is getting the dynamics wrong and realising i havent left enough room for a head!!!!whole thing gets scrapped!!!!

Tying with trebles and getting impaled thumbs while trying to do Bann Specials and the like, Guess thats why i tie mainly on doubles now!!!!

slippages, unravels and even wrong colours have all happened.

does anyone ask themselves occasionally why the hell we do it!!!!!

I ask myself that all the time, then 1 look at catologue prices and its back to the vice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I ask myself that all the time, then 1 look at catologue prices and its back to the vice!!!

i dont think ive saved any money tying my own

i seem to spend all the money i would on flies buying Capes, Tinsels, JC,threads, waxes,dubbing, etc etc etc the list is endless lol lol lol

and i still buy flies as well!!!!!!!!

Im just cursed!!!

Tying gets us through the winter...

All be it we have slightly less hair, a more furrowed brow, skwinted eyes, sore thumbs and the swear box in the kitchen is full to bursting

but ask yourself this would you give it up?

Buy your hooks in bulk is a way of saving cash. I get mine for bout 2.20 for a pack of 10 partridge hooks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast