Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Is the wing and flash really dark green or black.

Looks, from the photo, like black wing flash and black guard hair in the picture
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

2. And this fly, tied with a little bit of UV Minnow flash under the claret throat, fools a hell of a lot of fish into biting it:

There. The pics are worth the 2 cents.
    Gary[/QUOTE]

think this is the C.B, sorry if i have mistaken it as that, it is a simple but very pretty fly and can see why it does so well Gary it's because it has a big lump of black in it lol
    seriously Gary if you took the black out of the two flies you show on this thread do you think they would still do as well with say replacing the black with blue, green or red for example.

here's the one we have been searching for all our fishing lives and now it has arrived so get your ten bob notes out lads it will be the reason that salmon took the fly you drifted past it's nose and would otherwise turned it's nose up to!!!
    Some people could flog sand to the Arabs and ice to an Eskimo. bottled sunshine whatever next
    UV Reactive Glo Brite Dye Additive - 25ml - Brand New Japanese Technology | eBay
    Last edited by Bucktail Bob; 10-03-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Would it not be more about sparsely dressed and relatively small, irrespective of all else ?

Already today the three threads that I have taken interest in, have had the same common denominator, small and sparse irrespective of water, temp, time, date, water colour, etc .

- Jocks flee on the 22lb dee thread,
    - this thread and the celtic beauty
    - and the thread about the hitch tube from the guideline blog Size does matter……… Guidelineflyfish's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Bucktail Bob View Post
    2. And this fly, tied with a little bit of UV Minnow flash under the claret throat, fools a hell of a lot of fish into biting it:

There. The pics are worth the 2 cents.
    Gary
    think this is the C.B, sorry if i have mistaken it as that, it is a simple but very pretty fly and can see why it does so well Gary it's because it has a big lump of black in it lol
    seriously Gary if you took the black out of the two flies you show on this thread do you think they would still do as well with say replacing the black with blue, green or red for example.[/QUOTE]

Bad picture's, too much flash , whatever - no black in the celtic beauty, it's green ???

Yup, it's a very dark green and a dark green flash underneath, which is weirdly called "Grizzly Flashabou Black/Pearl Accent. It's really very green. The wing hair is dyed dark green. A friend just took a better pic (I use the equivalent of a Kodak Brownie from the '60's to take pics) and I will post it here.

When I finally got to fish this fly (I sent a batch up to New Brunswick since I was on crutches and couldn't fish in July), in September, I landed a 20, a 12 and a 10 pound salmon, plus a grilse, in the first couple days. Talk about gratifying!

KGM, I suspect black wing would work will too.
    Gary
    A photo by John Preston of New Hampshire:
    http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...54/CELTICB.jpg
    Last edited by gt05254; 10-03-2012 at 02:55 AM.

TonyPrior Guest

Just to back up what Klops said: I bought a red cock cape off a Forum member a few years ago, I didnt like the colour much when it arrived, it was a cold red. Under black light, it fluoresced. I just didn't fancy the colour for my salmon or trout flies, so I tied up some feather lures with it, 4 feathers lashed on a biggish hook, for sea fishing. It's dynamite for coalfish, haddock, whiting, tusk and cod at depths from 60 - 120 metres. Fish keep on taking it even when there's only one feather or part of a feather left on the hook. It outfishes solid lures and pirks, and lures with other coloured feathers. It outfishes lures with luminous paint. The only thing it won't outfish is bait, but it will match bait. I can't explain it, but that's how it is. I should promote that cape back into the salmon feathers drawer.

greenthen i can only put it down to the orange body. or is it not orange and i am colour blind.
    sparse dress is the way then Kgm may be in tails of a pool or canal like water but if like me you find the heads of pools the most productive then a sparse fly is not as effective as something in between which is what i catch on more than anything else, but that is salmon fishing for you too many possible solutions for insecure anglers.

Default Dfm

Quote Originally Posted by salmonshrimp View Post
    Your comments tell us nothing either I've not dismissed anything I'm merely questioning things the same as you. Show us some evidence you've said you see green blood how do you know for sure the fish does not see red blood ?

Why would I want to do an experiment in the sun it won't tell me what the fish sees.
    Re your last quote.....Thats right, but if it doesn`t fluoresce in direct sun light, it sure aint gonna fluoresce in the water

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser1661 View Post
    Re your last quote.....Thats right, but if it doesn`t fluoresce in direct sun light, it sure aint gonna fluoresce in the water
    Were back in the nightclub again though. PJ
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast