Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default flies for the gaula

gday im going to the galau end of june for the first time and want to tie some flies been doing some research theres seems to be so many variants to size ,weight and colour of fly can any one give me a basic rundown on these areas

what lenght tube to use?

do i use brass or platic tubes?

what lenght wing?

is black and red,orange and black,green and black and olive the beat colours?

can i use use synthenic materials i have deadly dazzle?

thanks heaps clint

Hi Clint,

Google Granbo Fly Fishing, he has a lot of good info on there. I believe the Temple dog was originated for fishing there (Gaula) so that should give you a good start as to the type of flies.

Consider getting his DVD on the river, a great video to watch and very informative. Springer just had a post on it in the General topic board.

Not to speak out of turn, I have never been there but it is a dream destination for me and I have looked up quite a bit of info. Hopefully someone with more experience will reply with better sourced information.

Cheers!

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffH; 02-04-2008 at 05:25 AM.

Clinton,

You'll do fine with flies used in UK and Scotland like Allys, WG, GreenH, Blue charm etc.
    Gaula is very unstable river so it's good to have many flies in different sizes and colors.
    few patterns e.g
    Small size #10-12 Irish shrimps like Ballina and Bann sp. for very low water
    Green Butt ' tube with 1-2' wing - low / warm clear water
    Black sheep ' tube 2-3'wing - slighlty coloured middle water
    Garry tube 2/3' with 3-4' wing - High coloured water

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    Hi Clint,

Google Granbo Fly Fishing, he has a lot of good info on there. I believe the Temple dog was originated for fishing there (Gaula) so that should give you a good start as to the type of flies.

Consider getting his DVD on the river, a great video to watch and very informative. Springer just had a post on it in the General topic board.

Not to speak out of turn, I have never been there but it is a dream destination for me and I have looked up quite a bit of info. Hopefully someone with more experience will reply with better sourced information.

Cheers!

Jeff
    Great tip Jeff, I had a google as suggested

the granbo site is excellent- some really good stuff for fly nerds

http://www.granbo-flyfishing.no/_eng...ge-vinger.html

The Grandbo site is very informative and MacD has given you a link to a previous question posed here on the same topic.

I'll just emphasis that end of June fishing can be unpredictable. Normally the water will still be running off snowmelt and thus either high or medium height. Water temp can vary from 6-12deg C depending on weather.

Under these conditons, sunk lines and BIG flies are the norm. Last June(week 25) I was fishing flies from ranging from 3-6" inch wing. Tube length can range from 1-2in, typically in plastic (with and without coneheads) as casting a brass/copper tube in this length is not as easy. Lines from intermediate to sink 4/5 will be required.

The river runs a greeny colour at this time and is obviously very clear, so flies with green and black are usually a good choice. i.e.

Green highlander
    Black and Green
    Sunray Shadow - A MUST
    Sillen - another MUST. use plenty of flash.
    Phatagorva type fly/colours for slightly coloured water

JeffH offered some good patterns as well although I wouldn't be expecting low water in June. If the water is medium-high then quite simply you can't fish big enough. This is a powerful river with big strong fish so make sure your hooks are strong and sharp. Patridge Salars and Sawadas are good choice. Leader - minium 22lb fluro up to 30lbs BS.

Hope you do well. It's a great place, a great river and the fish are seriously powerful.