Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1

Default Dull after dyeing

I dyed some natural arctic fox before and it looks dull compared to shop bought stuff. Is there a trick to making it shiny if you will? Thanks.

If you didn't damage the hair by dyeing it in too hot a bath try using hair conditioner on it.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Oh, it could have been too hot, not sure. It was just below a simmer and simmering at times. The patch was in no longer than 5 mins. The colour is ok, just no shine. Thanks.

Some furs just donít get that sheen after dyeing. Youíre working with a natural material so not every result will be the same but using conditioner and even some of the Mrs shampoo for coloured hair can help lift it and get rid of excess dyes.

That said, it does Sounds like itís as Gary says. The bath was too hot. A simmer would be too much for Fox Fur. Somewhere round 40-60c, just as you start to see wafts of ďmistĒ come of the solution. Just make sure all the dye is dissolved before adding the materials.
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Wash and go has slightly revived it! I shall reduce the heat next time. Thanks.

Also depends on your dye - rubbish dye = rubbish results (never waste your time with dylon or rit).
    I use mainly Jacquard because it's easy to get off eBay and very good, it IS important not to overcook materials - you should never boil materials - especially not fur and wool as you'll turn it into felt and boil out all of the natural oils. When drying warmth helps - specially with capes where drying on a radiator helps bring back the gloss and bant (spring) of the feathers.

Dx
    Last edited by Dave Carne; 02-01-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks Iíll bare that in mind next time. The dye Im using is veniard, I would have thought this to be ok.
    Last edited by Tardyrover; 02-01-2020 at 09:26 PM.

I use Veniards dyes.
    I first wash the materials well in Synthrapol.
    Bring the water to the boil and add double the amount of dye stated and a big slug of white vinegar. Stir well to dissolve the dye.
    Turn off the heat and let the solution cool to about 65c (a digital food thermometer costs a few quid off Ebay)
    Turn the heat back on very low to just maintain that temp
    Add the materials and stir well.
    Keep stirring until you get the right colour.
    Sometimes I leave to soak overnight, turn off the heat, to get a deep colour especially on Fox guard hairs.
    Wash the materials well in Hair Conditioner.
    Dry gently in a warm room.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Some good information there, thanks!