Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: fly tying books

Default fly tying books

Hi
    I am planning to start tying some salmon flies for next season, I have tied some trout flies in my youth (very distant past) what books would you recommend for a beginner?
    thanks in advance
    John

Not sure about books but I find , as a beginner, that davie Mcphail videos on YouTube are good

David McPhail YouTube videos are great
    Plenty more stuff on YouTube and on this forum.
    I like to browse Chris Mann's ' The Complete illustrated Directory of Salmon Flies book to get some ideas.

If you want a book you will not do better than this one

A Practical Guide to Tying Salmon and Sea Trout Flies - Gary Welsher

A Practical Guide to Tying Salmon and Sea Trout Flies - Gary Welsher

Ryan Houston has some great tutorials on you tube, Iíve always been pretty disappointed by any books Iíve brought, I would rather watch and learn and try mimicking than try and copy a book from pictures.
    Micheal Frodins books I have found inspiring though for ideas and ingredients.

Thanks for the replies , I have been watching the videos and agree that they are very good (they make it look so easy)
    I enjoy books that is why I asked for some recommendations, I will follow up on ones you have suggested
    wishing you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year

Welcome to the forum, John.
    Are you tying for the pleasure of it or to (hopefully/eventually) catch fish with them?

I'll reiterate Chris Mann's book (post 3) and add Stan Headley's 'Flies of Scotland'. Although much of the book is for trout flies there's a good few salmon & sea trout in there, too. It has good pics and clear descriptions. First published 1997 and, as the title suggests, shows the classics of its day.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

John, colour full plate photo books are great for giving you an idea of whats possible and what you can set your sights on.
    However all the step by steps on you tube, here etc. give the greatest practical advice in actual construction of the flee's themselves.
    There are more than a few blindingly good tyers on here(certainly not me!) and that McPhail geezer isn't too bad at all and worth sitting down to watch with a brew and a choccy biccy or two!.
    I'd suggest trying to balance the two media's, the printed versions(Chris Mann) and the video versions( Mc.Phail).I fine construction techniques invaluable for more than a single pattern.
    Pedro.

P.S. Superglue is the tyers friend(especially if one is **** at it all!)

I agree with nearly all the advice given here, but may I throw in my own tuppence-worth, please? If you want to take your fly-dressing skills a little further without going as far as tying classic salmon flies, try John Shewey's book on Spey and Dee flies. This is an American book which was published a few years ago and, I think, is now only available in paperback. I'm sure Coch-y-bonddu Books could point you in the right direction. This book will teach you much about thread and feather management and will enhance your enjoyment of this delightful pastime immeasurably.

Expensive book!

Richard