Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  12

Default The 5 main styles of scandi hair wings I use

These 5 styles in a variety of colour schemes is what I fish.
    From clockwise in the right corner.

1.Monkey winged templedogs .
    I fish these flies in a a range of colours in medium to high water, they remain slim in the water but create more profile in turbulent water because of the front hackle and heavier wings compared to a normal monkey winged tube.

2. Frodin style TTT tubes.
    These are the flies I use in the heaviest water, they have the widest profile with the longer hackles, the wing is is wide but still well tapered but only tied in 2 or 3 sections as they are meant to be broad and highly visible in heavy water.

3. Classic monkeys.
    I fish these flies anywhere and anytime in the season in fast to very fast pools, I tie the hackles first and well back to make sure the fly remains as slim as possible , sometimes I use a beard hackle for that reason also.

4.Mini and micro templedogs.
    I tie these flies from 2 to 5cm in length on all colors, these flies now replace most of my traditional flies on hooks I used to fish through late spring till the end of the season, the salmon dont care if the fly is one of these or a similar color and sized complicated shrimp fly on a hook, I use them because they are easy to tie, more durable and hook size, color can be changed.
    Samurai.
    Probably my least used fly, I haven't had that many fish with it, but its a fly I use when there is alot of fresh salmon coming into the river and the water is cold generally early season, I am going to invest more time with these fly this season as I keep hearing great reports with it .

There is a one type missing at that is the fully dressed classic templedogs , the style I started with about 20 years ago , I still tie them occasionally but for fishing I much prefer short bodied scandi flies, my experience has shown me the salmon love to hit the fly broadside when they are fished fast and the short tube mean the hook is always right in the middle of the wing just where I want it.

If I could only choose one fly for the rest of my life it would be the classic monkey in different sizes and colors as it works everywhere all season.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Rotenone.

If you were fishing a 'standard' UK or Irish river from, say May through August in good water of 50-60 degrees, what would be your 'go to' fly and would you be fishing them close to the surface or deep down?

Ta

GK

Intresting stuff, thankyou.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    Thanks for that Rotenone.

If you were fishing a 'standard' UK or Irish river from, say May through August in good water of 50-60 degrees, what would be your 'go to' fly and would you be fishing them close to the surface or deep down?

Ta

GK
    I always use a sink tip or a sinking line GK small Sierra gorva 2 to 6cm would probably be my choice as it works in clear and coloured water.

I have literally thousands of flies a lot of Irish shrimps, traditional hair wings etc it's just laziness I would fish a small soft templedog really as you dont need to change in fast or slow water

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I am mainly liking this article rather a lot, gives a valuable insight into fly tying and choices.
    Thank you very much.
    Pedro.