Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  90
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default You most effective fishing fly?

As most anglers and tyers I have gone through my hair share of favourite salmon patterns.

I can remember its was always Irish shrimps when I started the currys red or Bann special and bucktail tubes

Then in the 90s allys shrimp and later on the cascade.

In the early 2000s I visited Paddy Bonner shop where he really opened my eyes to modern materials and made me aware of flies with great mobility like his shadow shrimps and he was also the first person I saw tie really good Scandinavian style flies.

After spending much time fishing in Scandinavia myself over the last 20 years my flies have become much simpler and mobility based.

These days if I could only have one fly it would be a monkey fly, the reason being tied in all sizes it works all time even on hard fished water.

I tied them in all sizes from micro upto 15cm
    Wouldn't be without the monkey fly for me its better then the sunray shadow also.

Here's a few from this afternoon

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Monkey is good. I like a snaelda and am partial to a sunray. A beetle, a snake and a silver Ally's and that would do it for me.

in the last 5 years it would be a yellow shrimp before that it was any fly so long as it was a silver doctor

Would need to be the willie gunn for me from first day of the season to the last I've seen more fish caught on it than any other fly

dsc_0601-jpg

Last couple of seasons this fly has worked for me. Also in a bright pink version 👍

_20190730_212014-jpg

Can't beat Green Highlander Scandi style. Definitely my most successful fly pattern.

green-highlander_tagged-jpg
    gh-wet-jpg

It's been a while since we've seen a fly from yourself Stunning fly Janusz

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    It's been a while since we've seen a fly from yourself Stunning fly Janusz
    Thanks for kind words Lamson.
    I do tie occasionally, mainly to replenish my fly boxes. But for the last 18 months I've been working my a.. off and that has kept me from tying anything new and posting on here. A few years ago I also decided to devote most of my spare time to spey casting (practicing, giving demos and teaching). Have to say being out by the river with a spey rod relaxes me a lot more than tying. I would even incline to say that fly tying is stressful and exhausting. At least in my case as being pedantic I always strive to make my flies look perfect. As a result, after an hour or two of tying my back is stiff
    Last edited by cloner; 06-09-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Quality tying lamson

Silver stoat for me, stood the test of time and should always be in someone’s fly box

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast