Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3

Default Lamp recommendations please

Anyone care to recommend a good light for the flyting bench?
    Preferrably something robust with an easily changed bulb.

thanks

The Daylight - fly tyers vice light is very good. Does not emit any geat which is important, at least it is to me. As regards changing the bulb? Couldn't really tell you. I've had mine for about 18 years and it's still on the same bulb.
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Hi
    I use a Daylight Co D33041 desk lamp.
    The daylight tube gives great even light on the fly tying desk. Had it 15 odd years never changed the tube, though it does not Look hard to do.
    I would highly recommended it.
    Mikh

Hopefully you can enlarge the image to get a good look at the light with magnifier. I believe they are known everywhere as a Jewelers Lamp. In America they can be found in shops that sell various lamps and lighting fixtures.

Mine is quite old but newer versions are made, they have a magnifier glass 3X generally, mine is a 4X.

These are not expensive and some (like mine) can be attached to the worktable with wood screws. I have been using that old lamp since the 1990's when I tied many dry flies down to the size 20. For salmon flies there's no better way to control quality of the work than adequate light combined with magnification. That's my opinion of course, some may disagree....

Ard

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Hopefully you can enlarge the image to get a good look at the light with magnifier. I believe they are known everywhere as a Jewelers Lamp. In America they can be found in shops that sell various lamps and lighting fixtures.

Mine is quite old but newer versions are made, they have a magnifier glass 3X generally, mine is a 4X.

These are not expensive and some (like mine) can be attached to the worktable with wood screws. I have been using that old lamp since the 1990's when I tied many dry flies down to the size 20. For salmon flies there's no better way to control quality of the work than adequate light combined with magnification. That's my opinion of course, some may disagree....

Ard

If I may be allowed the indulgence of an observation. Your tying desk is way too tidy. Actually hold that thought.........it is just mine that is way too scruffy. You may have shamed me into having a tudy up. Good Lord that's a first in my life
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

You should see it now buddy!

I'll snap a shot in the morning and come post it for comparison.

Here you go, fresh evidence

Not so tidy I think.....

In keeping with the original topic, here you see the level of light and magnification provided by this relic.

Because of the age of the lamp I was able to remove it from the large weighted base and attach it firmly to the bench as shown here.

Light on the old ones was provided by three mini tubes, in all these years I've only had need to replace one of them.

The lamp was given to me by an antique dealer who knew I tied flies back in 1994. I have also used a newer model that you could place a single high intensity bulb in and it worked fine. However, the switch gave out after just a couple years of use so I reverted back to the antique and must say, they don't make them like they used to.

Ard

Ard my man, you are still much tidied than me. I am getting ready at the moment for a week long jolly. Travelling tomorrow and fishing Monday to Saturday. When I get back I will show you some proper scruff stuff. Even my dawg thumbs her nose up at the piles of unadulterated bits of animal offcut. 35 years of accumulation. Probably about time some of it went to fly tying heaven.

I think you should take photos and then construct a lengthy photo laced and wordy post explaining how you reached such a point where your beloved dog won't trod into the business of it

I'll look forward to hearing from you about the trip. I am off for an adventure tomorrow I believe and will put together some sort of post when the dust settles.