Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14

Default Black doctor turbo tube

For late season fishing in southern Norway tied on frodin tungsten turbo tube

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I like that, it's one cool flee.
    Now purely out of interest(although I am fishing for as much help as I can get here!), how small do you think you could tie a flee in the "Scandi Style" Rotenone.
    I've just struggled tying some very greatly simplified flee's on 1/4" tubes.Love the style, movement and shillouhette but often the impact is way too much for where I fish and I'm looking for something as small as it's practical to tie really!.
    Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    I like that, it's one cool flee.
    Now purely out of interest(although I am fishing for as much help as I can get here!), how small do you think you could tie a flee in the "Scandi Style" Rotenone.
    I've just struggled tying some very greatly simplified flee's on 1/4" tubes.Love the style, movement and shillouhette but often the impact is way too much for where I fish and I'm looking for something as small as it's practical to tie really!.
    Pedro.
    Hi Pedro,

I've tied them with the no body style just as small as a 14 double.
    If you start adding a body of some kind it can be hard to keep them smaller then 10mm overall

I tied some tiny ones on dot tubes which are 6mm long the wing was only about 2 cm in those.

Gave some to a friend to use in the Swedish Lainio river , he caught some some large fish on those tiny scandi when nothing else worked last August.

I try to build them up so they are quite fat at the front with a very finely tapered wing even in those tiny sizes they look like natural in the water like a prey item would , the one below is on a 7mm tube another way is just use tiny bead for the body theres no limit, I hardly tie anything else these days but simple scandi or monkey flies.

Really all good salmon patterns look very similar once in a decent current of water imho, but scandi flies rule as you can fish them right though a pool fast or slow water makes no difference as provided they are tied correctly they look right in all water.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that rotenone, the MK2 1/4" versions will get a swim tomorrow evening(I fished the MK1's on 1/2"tubes last week!) then I'll see how I go,Its going to be quite a learning curve I feel. They did however look so much better in the water than my conventional wee tubes, it has to be worth the perseverance.
    Cheers, Pedro.

Just an up date!,fished with one of my 1/4" versions last evening, still a work in progress tying I have to say!,any way one got grabbed and I fluffed my bit!.Spent a bit of time watching the flee in the water and while the full 1p hasn't dropped just yet, there's an old 1/2p rattling about on the floor now!.I am beginning to realise your way of thinking rotenone!.Also,just clocked johnevs Sea Trout zonker tube, more thought there too!
    Cheers me dears,Pedro.

Very nice flies...

Try burring liner tube, wind turn of hackle round,then small layered scandi wing,or finest strip of zonker rabbit just a slither to tie it in, then slip micro cone over and burr on with lighter, Alternative burr liner tube one turn orange yellow black hen as blended hackle small cone (gold silver copper alternate tube colour for contrast) over and finnish simple wullie gun,left with a wing hackle and cone on over both,simple quick effective. Slip cone over wing hackle leave gap between cone and burr on liner fill with coloured thead acting as we target in fornt of cone.Sorry not the best picture,none of these have a body liner tube wing hackle and cone .red , black francis Ally's shrimp. we wullie guns and some simple made up stuff with tiny zonker wings,also do on the small compact 7 bottles or plain micro tube in colours. I also coat cone in uv resin deer creek and hard as nails,gives more weight and protects from chipping tarnishing

img_0374-jpgimg_0374-jpg
    Last edited by munro; 05-07-2019 at 10:56 PM.