Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  50
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swap Catches

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I had my blackberry in the front pocket of my waders and went a bit too deep on Friday evening so unfortunately I didn't get a pic as the phone is dead. I'll use the fly again for sure, I might tie up a few on sprite hooks but the gold tinsel I have wouldn't be as yellow as the gold used in your fly storkus.
    Yeh Doc the 'old gold' look mylar tinsel not so easy to come by. I bought a couple of spools of both large and medium stuff from 'MAYO FLYCRAFT' about 15 years ago. (not even sure they still exsist).

I've run out of the large stuff after tying up a few 'Finalists' for myself so now onto the medium spools. Which was ok for the smaller sizes.
    I believe I saw some recenlty in the thicker stuff in Tom's Tackle in the Ardlough Road, Drumahoe think it was by Lureflash, will check it out tomorrow and let you know.

Had a nice 4lb salmon (slightly coloured & returned) on the river Lossie this morning to Carbisdale Caster's contribution to the August swap. The fish put up quite a tussle in the wee river. To top it all it was the first fish on my #7wt switch rod. A great way to spend a morning in the Autumn sunshine.

CC
    I'll have to tie up some of these before I lose your fly as the Lossie is quite overgrown. I'm glad I waded waist deep to retrieve the fly from a tree on the pool previous to the one on which I got the fish. Could you provide the dressing please?
    cheers
    Last edited by McFly; 06-10-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Well done McFly.

Here is the fly for anybody wondering:

I think this is the recipe

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...ht=scap+shrimp

Fished it Monday on the Welsh Dee and also had to rescue it from a tree; shame it wasn't from a salmon's mouth. But it does look the business.

ATB

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by McFly View Post
    Had a nice 4lb salmon (slightly coloured & returned) on the river Lossie this morning to Carbisdale Caster's contribution to the August swap. The fish put up quite a tussle in the wee river. To top it all it was the first fish on my #7wt switch rod. A great way to spend a morning in the Autumn sunshine.

CC
    I'll have to tie up some of these before I lose your fly as the Lossie is quite overgrown. I'm glad I waded waist deep to retrieve the fly from a tree on the pool previous to the one on which I got the fish. Could you provide the dressing please?
    cheers
    Hi Mcfly, I just noticed this post. Congratulations on the fish mate, I sadly lost most of my swap flies on the Tummel a couple of weeks ago which was bl**dy annoying. Anyway Ade's beaten me to it with the recipe . For the heads of the swap flies I used a coppery rainbow coloured thread which was sent to me by Highlander as oppose to the copper Krystal Flash I normally use for them. For the body the actual Gold Braid is Madeira Metallic Embroidery Thread col.2534 nr.25, art.no. 9811. I picked it up at the local art shop but you'll probably get it in most sewing/wool shops. I also picked up some which is a mixture of silver and gold art.no. 9808 and looks really nice.

Paul

Cheers CC
    The fly looks great in peaty water. I like raking about in craft and sewing shops. I recently spotted a pack containing 3 colours of material like angel hair for around 3. Also got a metre of stuff identical to long polar chenille - a sort of pearl/mirage colour. I tried it as an under hackle on a temple dog and it looks incredible in the water. There's no question that a lot of fly tying materials are just "crafting" materials repackaged at inflated prices.

As luck would have it I'm currently sitting in my car beside Dublin's RDS exhibition arena which is today hosting the annual Knitting and Sewing Show. If I have the time I may go and have a poke around it.

Quote Originally Posted by crispin View Post
    As luck would have it I'm currently sitting in my car beside Dublin's RDS exhibition arena which is today hosting the annual Knitting and Sewing Show. If I have the time I may go and have a poke around it.

Go for it Crispin, you know you want to

Quote Originally Posted by McFly View Post
    Cheers CC
    The fly looks great in peaty water. I like raking about in craft and sewing shops. I recently spotted a pack containing 3 colours of material like angel hair for around 3. Also got a metre of stuff identical to long polar chenille - a sort of pearl/mirage colour. I tried it as an under hackle on a temple dog and it looks incredible in the water. There's no question that a lot of fly tying materials are just "crafting" materials repackaged at inflated prices.
    Madeira also do a nice pearly white flat braid for embroidery that shows up as green if you use black tying thread under the code for it is 8040 no8 in 20m spools for next to nowt.

Paul

A couple of swap-fly catches to report from this week.

I caught a 14lb licer in the north of Scotland on Monday on my February swap zonker.

And yesterday I hooked and played another licer, around 10lbs, on this one of AllyG's from the January swap. Just as the ghillie was about to net the fish it threw the hook (but that was down to me, NOT AllyG's fly )

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast