Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Glad you all liked it. It just summed up the idea of a fishing holiday to me, and the way one feels in such weeks.

I think I put a little more emphasis on the 'catching' but each to their own.

Off on my own annual pilgrimage on Saturday, so it got me nicely in the mood!

Oscar.

Great stuff, lovely river.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)

Thanks Oscar. I like it more and more on subsequent watches, though if being pedantic would have to point out that the Findhorn gorge didn't exist 100 thousand years ago, according to my QRA Field Guide it was a glacial overflow channel carved through rock when the Mondliath Icefield melted. So 10 thousand years ago it'd've had repopulating salmon stocks and native pine woods fringing it and been a darn site colder before the Gulf Stream kicked in

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    Nice find. Incidentally, this is the well-known sporting and wildlife artist Rodger McPhail, whose work some people may have seen in the House of Bruar among other places. Rodger is one of the nicest, and also the funniest, people you could ever wish to share a riverbank with.
    Thanks for pointing that out charlieH. He certainly seems a laugh and just the kind of bloke you would appreciate the company of on the river (even though he's not from the right side of the Pennines). Will check out HoB when I next pass by that way: I remember seeing a grand painting of his of a musket /sparlet missing a snipe that looks almost Thorburn-esque and would improve any wall IMO.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Thanks Oscar. I like it more and more on subsequent watches, though if being pedantic would have to point out that the Findhorn gorge didn't exist 100 thousand years ago, according to my QRA Field Guide it was a glacial overflow channel carved through rock when the Mondliath Icefield melted. So 10 thousand years ago it'd've had repopulating salmon stocks and native pine woods fringing it and been a darn site colder before the Gulf Stream kicked in
    I didn't have you down as a pedant Chris...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12