Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing bag, pack,waistcoat,sling,whatever.

Most of my fishing is done on one of my club waters.It involves me putting the miles in and I don't fish short sessions because of the distance involved.
    I'm currently using an Airflo Outlander pack, lets me take all the gear I need + food n drink for the day.I've allways had a bit of an issue with the front flybox pockets being very very intrusive, but so far coped.However Friday noticed the constant rubbing on the sleeves of my jacket has holed it.So I'm looking for a re placement bag waistcoat whatever.
    Now I've a whychwood flo rite pack as yet not used, but shying away from ruck sack type packs for the straps rubbing on the sleeves, tried a waistcoat but the back pocket was never big enough for food+ drink,esp. a flask for Tea,nor at times secure enough and deffo. not waterproof for butties etc.
    Also I'd be looking to not hole another jacket(my current old G3 is quite aged now so it is at its life end, but don't want to wreck my new one).
    Any thoughts any one?,whats a waist pack like, big enough?
    Pedro.

Default David attenborough

Fish cleaner rivers from which you can drink the water and so leave out the flask. Or watch one of these documentaries and balance a pot upon your Kopf.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Most of my fishing is done on one of my club waters.It involves me putting the miles in and I don't fish short sessions because of the distance involved.
    I'm currently using an Airflo Outlander pack, lets me take all the gear I need + food n drink for the day.I've allways had a bit of an issue with the front flybox pockets being very very intrusive, but so far coped.However Friday noticed the constant rubbing on the sleeves of my jacket has holed it.So I'm looking for a re placement bag waistcoat whatever.
    Now I've a whychwood flo rite pack as yet not used, but shying away from ruck sack type packs for the straps rubbing on the sleeves, tried a waistcoat but the back pocket was never big enough for food+ drink,esp. a flask for Tea,nor at times secure enough and deffo. not waterproof for butties etc.
    Also I'd be looking to not hole another jacket(my current old G3 is quite aged now so it is at its life end, but don't want to wreck my new one).
    Any thoughts any one?,whats a waist pack like, big enough?
    Pedro.

Never drink water DW,it's need to brew beer with and couldn't possibly carry owt under 't cap as thats where I keep my bottles of Old Peculier !
    P.

I found the same with the outlander pack, its perfect to put a jacket and flask in but the fly boxes get right in the way with a double hander. They do one similar but with a chest pack on the front instead of the pockets and not sure if that would be any better. I just stick to the tried and tested rucksack then hang it on a tree when fishing down a pool and go back and get it when im finished. I got a simms headwaters rucksack from ebay and won the auction for 20 quid with a sneaky bid and its miles ahead of anything else ive used for comfort and not killing my back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Rennie,
    for fishing I tried different backpacks, vests and combinations of backbacks and chest pockets.
    To make it short: There were always unwanted effects to an expensive wading jacket when worn underneath.
    Also when mountain hiking or in any activity in backpacking the jackets are wearing off and loose their functionality over time.
    Its even worse when speycasting because of the steady movements, which creates abrasion.
    My solution after some trial and error:
    The expensive jacket isnt needed all time.
    I am wearing a wind stopper soft shell jacket and take the rain protection out of my daypack when it is needed. It covers 90 % of my fishing. This year much more...
    Two versions for me:
    1. expensive breathable jacket in a big daypack for longer excursions and boat trips.
    2. none expensive small packable waterproof jacket in my smaller BH for the nicest of expected weather conditions and the evening jumps.
    Both versions of backpacks can be completed with the same chest pocket !

Big daypack:
    Simms Drycreek. Big when needed and can be adjusted small because of extension strips and roll top. Also perfect for boarding when needed. Its adaptable to the allowed size. Expensive, but the best I tried. Equipped with the best and most comfortable shoulder and hip belts for adaptable best fit. Roll top for fast and easy access. Really waterproof and a dont worry product for wading, boat trips and for the worsest of weather conditions. Downside is, one has to be organized for the things to put in. Expensive.
    Small pack:
    Field &Fish (France) Backpack 20 l. Water resistent. Cheap.
    Both backpacks can be completed with the Field & Fish chest-pack. Water resistant. Cheap.
    Its the same fast and reliable magnetic fixation for Simms and Field&Fish backpacks (German patent).
    And important too:
    The chest pocket is small enough not to limit the movements when speycasting. No abrasion for the sleeves what is the case with many other solutions.
    It was the reason why I came away early from big and fat filled chest pockets.
    If in need to carry more, I combine it with a hip pack. After two packs with fuzzy waterproof zips I came to rolltop. At the moment the cheap Vision. But there are better ones out there from a view of quality and durability.

I am convinced there are a lot of other suggestions for you.
    - Lets be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

Rennie
    A not too commodious wicker picnic basket would be just the thing
    Morphfly

Never thought about that N. Got my old 6 leg whicker basket at my mums, or if I took a modern turn could use my current Milo box system, complete with platform/foot plate and bait waiter stations. Have to pay a lackey of sorts to carry the damn thing though!
    P.
    Last edited by Rennie; 19-08-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Never thought about that N. Got my old 6 leg whicker basket at my mums, or if I took a modern turn could use my current Milo box system, complete with platform/foot plate and bait waiter stations. Have to pay a lackey of sorts to carry the damn thing though!
    P.
    Just stick a floating base on it and an anchor and you can be away down the river on the seat box Fishing bag, pack,waistcoat,sling,whatever.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pete,

If you're wearing the waistcoat pack system, & keeping it on as you fish, then you don't need a wading jacket with pockets as well.

Just buy a decent breathable short climbing/ walking jacket (or a smock style with a 1/2 zip), ideally one without lower pockets, & wear the waistcoat pack over it.

It will still wear on the sleeves - but at say 90 in a sale somewhere for 4 seasons use, instead of Belgium's national debt for a Simms wading jacket, then it won't really matter.

If you got a bight yellow cycling one then you'd be easy to find after you finished the Theakson's & wandered off, dazed & confused, into the 'Oggin.........

Regards, Tyke.

I just came home from a 6 hour day where I took a fellow trout fishing via walking the stream. The usual is I use a boat and can carry kit & caboodle with no sweat but today I had to pack snacks, water and flies for someone without the boat.

I use a Filson foul weather vest they call it. Has a little pack on the back and some pockets on front. They are wax cotton which I'm sure you fellows are familiar with and will tolerate some rain but not like a rubber pack will. That's what I use.

This question might derail the topic but.... How many fly boxes do you guys carry? I was laden with a few because this fellow hired my services and so I took extra patterns. When I fish on foot alone I carry 2 boxes. One is filled with about 24 tubes like Dee Monkey or Wilkinson Sunrays and the other is an old thin Wheatley 40 clip with Spey patterns in it in case I need small stuff. That's it, 2 boxes, 2 spools of tippet and some hooks.

I understand that we are in totally different environments but today I fixed that mans rod with a Sculpin tied on a shank with a trailing hook. That fly is the one that produced. I had all those flies but the one I tied to his leader at the back of my truck at 6:50 AM. is the fly that worked for the day.

It's because of so many days like that throughout my fishing life that I carry very little at this point when fishing alone. Generally if I tie on a fly that has been catching fish for me for 2 decades that same fly will work today just like it did the last time I used it. Once I started making those Wilkinson Sunrays and Dee Monkey's I added them to my box I have had a few more go to patterns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast