Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: River alness

Default River alness

Have booked a week in october on the novar fishings.normally fish the west coast but fancy a change.web site pictures look good but what do members who have fished their 6 beats think.a.t.b.richard.SORRY POST DUPLICATED.
    Last edited by richard griffith; 22-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Default river alness

hi worktofish.thanks for the pointer.a.t.b.Richard.

Default Better late than not at all ..

... just getting to grips with the technology to post ...

not 'classic' but great fun in my book. I'd be back this year if I could get on ...

plenty of pools - some will fish whatever the height. Had over a dozen fish over 2 September and 1 October week (3 years) and on all beats. Less good news - most weren't fresh and 4 to 6 lbs, 7 1/2 lb tops ... most of mine go back anyway, so depends how you see these things. Seen fresh fish caught through to October.

Don't expect manicured banks ! Some are easy, but be ready to scramble through the trees and get a few scratches on your rod to save long walks. Definitely not crowded in my experience. The very numerous overhanging tree branches exert a breaking strain of about 14lb so use 15lb - 12.5lb leaves you short of flies !! Fish can get that big too

Tubes have worked fine for me - orange dart, willie gunn, tosh - small plastic through brass / copper depending on water. Small double magenta ally's as well. All with a slow/ fast sinking polyleader.
    Roger who runs things is always helpful and obliging but isn't about every day - you have to be happy to work it out a bit for yourself.

Tight lines !

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    ... just getting to grips with the technology to post ...

not 'classic' but great fun in my book. I'd be back this year if I could get on ...

plenty of pools - some will fish whatever the height. Had over a dozen fish over 2 September and 1 October week (3 years) and on all beats. Less good news - most weren't fresh and 4 to 6 lbs, 7 1/2 lb tops ... most of mine go back anyway, so depends how you see these things. Seen fresh fish caught through to October.

Don't expect manicured banks ! Some are easy, but be ready to scramble through the trees and get a few scratches on your rod to save long walks. Definitely not crowded in my experience. The very numerous overhanging tree branches exert a breaking strain of about 14lb so use 15lb - 12.5lb leaves you short of flies !! Fish can get that big too

Tubes have worked fine for me - orange dart, willie gunn, tosh - small plastic through brass / copper depending on water. Small double magenta ally's as well. All with a slow/ fast sinking polyleader.
    Roger who runs things is always helpful and obliging but isn't about every day - you have to be happy to work it out a bit for yourself.

Tight lines !
    MJ-thanks for the trouble of replying-returning fish no problem and well used to fishing in jungle conditions-you should see my small sea trout river in North Wales where it helps to be 3 foot high!very much looking forward to the experience.regards Richard.