Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iceland Trip

Default Iceland Trip

I am hoping to go to Iceland next summer as 40th birthday present(to myself!!). I have been in contact with some outfitters via the anglingiceland website. They seem very expensive; have been quoted £3000-£3600 for 5-6 days,including full board & guiding.
    Has anyone managed to do it any cheaper?
    If so have you any contacts? Any help very much appreciated.

Sounds about right for what your getting. Iceland isn't cheap although prices have dropped over the last 2yrs. Have you to pay for flights on top?

Rod sharing is common in Iceland and can reduce the costs but of course you need an extra rod to do it with.

I was quoted just under £1800 for 3 days on the laxa in July this was an all inclusive deal but the flights had to be paid for aswell. I could not afford this one so im going to fish the sog river instead it was half the price.

Try here http://www.randburg.com/is/reykjavik-angling-club/

If you go self catering you can save a lot of money. Have a google about as there are some helpful sites I've bumped into.

W&S

Default Iceland

Quote Originally Posted by Lincsbrown View Post
    I am hoping to go to Iceland next summer as 40th birthday present(to myself!!). I have been in contact with some outfitters via the anglingiceland website. They seem very expensive; have been quoted £3000-£3600 for 5-6 days,including full board & guiding.
    Has anyone managed to do it any cheaper?
    If so have you any contacts? Any help very much appreciated.
    Iceland is expensive, I fished there over 10 years ago and it cost me £4,000 then, so that puts your quotes in to prespective.
    No matter how windy or wet conditions you have fished in to date, Iceland will beat it.

I fished a small river the Straumfjaroara on the west coast , had about 12 for my week and enjoyed the experience, particularly riffling.

I prefer Norway.

All the best.

Digby

I have fished in Iceland for the past 30 years or so, the good rivers are expensive especially during the best periods. I find the best bet is to share a rod with a friend which basically cuts the cost in half. The daily fishing is 12 hours (7am-1pm 4pm-10pm) which is a lot for 1 person, sharing a rod allows you take pictures, relax on the bank, etc and not be exhausted at the end of a trip. Also one angler can walk down to the next pool and get ready while his buddy is finishing fishing another pool, basically maximize your fishing time. I lived in Iceland for a few years and during that time fished some rivers in the non peak times and you can come away quite disappointed with very few fish or fish only in lower or upper part of river. So you spend half your time fishing dead water with no fish or very few fish. So after you put together the airfare, time off from work, and all the other costs I find its better to go to a good river during best period on a rod sharing basis. You will likely find fresh fish well displaced thru the entire river and have action almost every day. You can always try some of the self catering rivers and rent a vehicle this is good idea if you have a few buddies to do this with hard to do it alone. Most of the rivers are not that big and have maps along with marked fishing pools and there is a fishing log so you can see what the best pools are so you really don't need a guide. You can always try a trout /salmon combo fish a few days for salmon then trout (which will redure the cost trout fishing not as expensive), the trout fishing can be quite good. You can pm me if you want any further info or if you have any rivers in mind.

As Jhon says Iceland is expensive but worths the money, belive me.
    If you need a cheaper option it is better to share the rod or even go 3 days instead od 6. It's better to do good river in these conditions instead of going out of prime time. Self catering rivers are also a good option but you need some people to book all the river at the same time. Guide will be helpful but not necesary if you know how to read the water and maps
    Sharing rod is the best option, I travel with some customers everyyear to Iceland and we share rods in prime time with good results, they are more than happy: Last year for example: 3 days in Laugardalsá we got 31 fish for 3 rods,...2 shared rods in Ranga 3 days, 53 fish...3 days 4 rods in Hvannadalsa 63 fish...

Try Fly fishing in Iceland tour operator, he can find something sheaper for you. Rivers like Affall and Thvera in Fljotshlid are getting popular by locals, cheap an very good fishing.

Affall river last season 4 rods over 1100 salmons.

Thvera will be good next season, many smelts put in the river last year. Last year 3 or 400 hundred salmons caught. will be at least 700 next season.

Here is brochure you might find something useful there

http://www.fishinginiceland.com/Vinn...hure_final.pdf

Peter

Hi.
    I have fished Icelandic rivers several times and the good ones are pricy but worth the money. I have fished Hofsá several times the past year and it is about the price you mention but you can book only three days which makes it more affordable .... and most Icelandic rivers include lodging and boarding (high quality). It is not easy to get in on the good rivers but it is worth a try.
    If you want to see a few pictures form Hofsá see my tread "Salmon from Hofsá" from 14th August 2009.
    Drop me a mail if you want more info or suggestions regarding Iceland.

Quote Originally Posted by john8 View Post
    I lived in Iceland for a few years and during that time fished some rivers in the non peak times and you can come away quite disappointed with very few fish or fish only in lower or upper part of river. So you spend half your time fishing dead water with no fish or very few fish.
    Not too sure what places you're referring to, but I'd have to disagree. Of course, when salmon are entering the rivers, there are few of them. After that the rivers are packed for the rest of the season!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast