Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iceland Trip

Default Arthur Oclesby was about right then!

Athur Oglesby wasn't short of a few bob as he fished on some exclusive bits of water for salmon. He apears to be right when he said basically the bigger a fishers bank ballance is the
    more successful a salmon angler will be.

Observing some of the antics of some salmon fishers in the Icelandic rivers shows that some don't mind paying extortionate money to catch very few salmon.

Now that the Welsh ,Scottish and English rivers have declined drastically no doubt the Icelanders or those who have bought their rivers will be sticking the price right up any time now!

Ive looked into this and for the budget angler, you can stay in Rekjavik and buy day permits for two or three rivers within an hour of the city for about 150 per day.

Obviously not so wild and scenic but more chance of a fish than over here - several icelandic agencies sell the permits separately.

Lax a angling is is one i think. The one i have noted on my pinterest board is anglers.is

Good luck !
    Last edited by GeeBee; 16-01-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
    Ive looked into this and for the budget angler, you can stay in Rekjavik and buy day permits for two or three rivers within an hour of the city for about 150 per day.

Obviously not so wild and scenic but more chance of a fish than over here - several icelandic agencies sell the permits separately.

Lax a angling is is one i think. The one i have noted on my pinterest board is anglers.is

Good luck !
    Good information.Thanks.

The prices for this do seem about right for the top rivers. You should look into rod sharing which is very common in Iceland

Just keep in mind Iceland is no guarantee on salmon fishing, last summer was not good. Many rivers suffered from low water as well as poor returns. Many of the top West coast rivers had catch totals of 1/4 or 1/3 of normal. As an example the river Nordura which is one of the top rivers in Iceland. In 2019 through late July the river had a total catch of about 200 salmon while in most years this number is well above 1000 by the same time. So I think if you went to Iceland last summer for the first time most anglers would have been disappointed.

If you're not 100% set on Iceland then have a look at Sweden. e.g. Kengis Bruk which is significantly cheaper but could provide a similar experience.

10 year old post guys ;-)

Hahaha. I only looked at the dates on this page!

Good to bring the post up to compare prices from there.

I was quoted the following for the end of June

East Ranga at 350 per day for the licence, lodge with full board 186 a night, guide 450 a day but split between 3 persons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12