Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Reccomended Beat near Glasgow

Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice. Next season will be my first going after salmon. I live in Glasgow, can anyone recommend the best way to get started. Get a season permit on a fairly local river like the Clyde or Teith or go for day tickets on different rivers when the conditions are right? Any particular recommended beats would be really useful.

Do both, get a local season ticket so you can go whenever you like and go away days to different beats when you can, more time you spend on the water the more you'll learn and the more chance you have of a fish

I would recommend getting a season permit for MID CLYDE. Easy access to river can fly spin or bait fish.

The Nith and Annam aren't all that far away. Happy to take you down for a dook in the Nith next season if you shoot me a message. Nice size of river to get started on
    Fly tying fiend in the west of Scotchland

Day tickets can work out expensive and when booking in advance it's a gamble regards water height and chances of fish in the beat. The upside is spending time in some lovely parts of the country.
    Season ticket for the Clyde or Leven etc means you can go when the water levels are good and your chances are better. You can also go for a few hours rather than a full day so family time doesn't suffer too much.
    Good luck which ever way you go.
    Cheers Diarmid.

Id have a look at the Ayrshire rivers from late July to the end of October. The Doon, Stinchar, Girvan and Ayr could be all good if the water is right. They are not more so great like in their halcyon days but still well worth a try.

Both mid Clyde and ucapa are value for money imo I take both permits mid can have fish from the middle of april and ucapa from June/July given the right conditions