Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Single Hander View Post

Sorry if I am going over old issues but I am still seeing these birds in ever increasing numbers each time I walk a section or fish a part of the system.
    Despite continually requesting that the Board apply for a cull license, and being told at a meeting by the Trust river manager this spring that it was on the agenda, as far as I know, many years behind the pack, this has not happened.
    I was also advised recently that an avian predator count was voted against and is now off the agenda because it would be too costly, a motion that was apparently supported the Stirling Council rep. to the Board.
    Before anyone goes off like a rocket, the rep. is not anyone I know, I am not even sure of his name.
    At the risk of being accused of turning this thread political, I would stress that these are the answers to your questions as far as I know. and may not be strictly correct.
    If they are not, I would openly apologise on this forum to the Board, but nobody seems to want to engage with anglers on these subjects?
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    Despite continually requesting that the Board apply for a cull license, and being told at a meeting by the Trust river manager this spring that it was on the agenda, as far as I know, many years behind the pack, this has not happened.
    I was also advised recently that an avian predator count was voted against and is now off the agenda because it would be too costly, a motion that was apparently supported the Stirling Council rep. to the Board.
    Before anyone goes off like a rocket, the rep. is not anyone I know, I am not even sure of his name.
    At the risk of being accused of turning this thread political, I would stress that these are the answers to your questions as far as I know. and may not be strictly correct.
    If they are not, I would openly apologise on this forum to the Board, but nobody seems to want to engage with anglers on these subjects?
    The forth and Teith rivers must be the most frustrating rivers to call as your own local rivers, I have only ever been to one fishery board meeting and to say I was shocked at the topics which were discussed is an understatement . I even butted in and said I cannot believe after 1 hour that nobody is talking about salmon and the real issues which are affecting the outgoing smolts and returning adults. This was met with looks of disgust from a few in the room. There was even a biologist talking about some surveys of burns done to find some species of small fish I had never even heard off maybe wrong but I was under the impression that the levy money generated by salmon anglers should be spent on salmon related issues and any surplus spent on other projects..

Getting as many smolts to sea is number 1 priority and not shooting these birds is a massive own goal and the board needs to review their decision not to shoot them.. But as a simple angler on the system it appears there is not much we can do as the board is by design Not accessible to your average angler who has strong views.

Surely when the council levy is up for review and assessment there will be a massive reduction in levy payment to the board due to reduced catches.

Anyway looks like we are left to suck it and see what happens in the future.

Default Her Majesty's Loyal Subjects

Quote Originally Posted by Single Hander View Post
    The avian problem on the river now is in my opinion one of the biggest issues which needs addressed by the board . How many smolts and parr are taken by these birds each year ? We know there is issues at sea but I feel there should be an active policy by the board of keeping the numbers down.

I know licenses need to be applied for but has the board applied for these recently or has the board monitored the numbers of cormorants and mergansers and gooseanders now resident on the system.

If I owned rights to a river system and felt the birds were a problem then I would be pushing the board for a licence to kill some.

Does anyone know if the board feels this is an issue and they are looking into it or the board think they have data from surveys which show enough smolts are getting to sea.

As the Council are one of the biggest levy payers on the system , does the council feel there is an issue with avian predation and if so has it been discussed at board level. I know there was issues regarding council representation on the board , is there a council Rep on the board and if so is there any feedback regarding avian predation.

Sorry if I am going over old issues but I am still seeing these birds in ever increasing numbers each time I walk a section or fish a part of the system.
    And there, in one post, you have the difference between her majesty's loyal, law-abiding subjects and the free, independent Paddys. In Ireland, the cormorants would eventually grow tired of the noise and excitements on the river and move on. Maybe some of the Cambusmore ones came from Donegal?

Thanks to all for the input.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12