Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  139
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Using catch stats is not conclusive. At the start of your time series then the climate was much colder than now and spring fish catches were high on all the good spring rivers; both to rod and net. Good water levels were had until late May in watersheds off mountain ranges ( as Findhorn ) In the mid-60's the then c 800 tonnes/ year were taken off Greenland until quotas were agreed of about 40 tonnes just now. A high proportion would have been UK MSW stock. Unsure when the Faroese longline fishery started but that likely took grilse in the main. Believe that is bought out for now.

Then you have progressive buy-outs of Scottish bag nets then most of the North-East drift-nets > 2000. The effect on Findhorn would likely be better for grilse given the Faroese situation and the lack of local nets around northern Scotland.

Salmon disease was rife in the late 60's and many rivers took until the early 80's to shrug that off.

You would need to be Einstein to figure the maths out for all that lot so good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilkinson View Post
    Using catch stats is not conclusive.

You would need to be Einstein to figure the maths out for all that lot so good luck.
    Agreed: there is generally a weak correlation between rod catches and population, and as my name isn't Einstein I made no effort to figure it all out in the original post and am even more reluctant to do so now.

All we can reasonably say is that the Findhorn seems to be in reasonable order.

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Agreed: there is generally a weak correlation between rod catches and population, and as my name isn't Einstein I made no effort to figure it all out in the original post and am even more reluctant to do so now.

All we can reasonably say is that the Findhorn seems to be in reasonable order.
    Michael, thank you for your post and the graphs, please don't let some put you off from trying to benefit all our knowledge with your information and clearly a passion for your sport and Migratory fish, i have particulary enjoyed reading your bloggs in the rookie corner ona ll things slamon and sea trout, it was only the other day I posted questions about what does a salmon/sea trout see, now I know after reading your bloggs, so an extended thank you for that.

You are appreciated.

ST
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent or reoccurring opposition from mediocre minds, if A is a success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Work is X; Y is play, and Z is keeping your mouth shut, we can be a genius if we CHOOSE but if we JUDGE a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

ST
    Posh Tosh, Executioner, Stoat Blue Variant, Park Shrimp.........

42 and counting

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilkinson View Post
    Using catch stats is not conclusive. At the start of your time series then the climate was much colder than now and spring fish catches were high on all the good spring rivers; both to rod and net. Good water levels were had until late May in watersheds off mountain ranges ( as Findhorn ) In the mid-60's the then c 800 tonnes/ year were taken off Greenland until quotas were agreed of about 40 tonnes just now. A high proportion would have been UK MSW stock. Unsure when the Faroese longline fishery started but that likely took grilse in the main. Believe that is bought out for now.

Then you have progressive buy-outs of Scottish bag nets then most of the North-East drift-nets > 2000. The effect on Findhorn would likely be better for grilse given the Faroese situation and the lack of local nets around northern Scotland.

Salmon disease was rife in the late 60's and many rivers took until the early 80's to shrug that off.

Hi Dave, I do believe you are correct with your statement, I also believe greatly that seeing all sides of the coin brings more Knowledge and therfore informed choices / good choices can be made.

MCXfisher brings all sides of migratory fishing to the surface, ever yones stats/details/ knowledge is important including yours mine and all that read this forum, so rather than chastise someone cant we just hit like, come back to it later if you really feel you need too.

ST
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent or reoccurring opposition from mediocre minds, if A is a success in life, then A equals X plus Y plus Z. Work is X; Y is play, and Z is keeping your mouth shut, we can be a genius if we CHOOSE but if we JUDGE a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

ST
    Posh Tosh, Executioner, Stoat Blue Variant, Park Shrimp.........

42 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Seatrooter View Post
    Michael, thank you for your post and the graphs, please don't let some put you off from trying to benefit all our knowledge with your information and clearly a passion for your sport and Migratory fish, i have particulary enjoyed reading your bloggs in the rookie corner ona ll things slamon and sea trout, it was only the other day I posted questions about what does a salmon/sea trout see, now I know after reading your bloggs, so an extended thank you for that.

You are appreciated.

ST
    Seatrooter,

thank you for your very kind words: I'm most grateful. Encouragement goes a long way.

M

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112