Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murthly 1

Default Murthly 1

Guys,

Fishing Murthly 1 this Friday.
    Printed off the directions but seem to have misplaced them.
    Whats the best way to get to the hut on the lower beat, Donald
    Is the gillie. Coming up the A9 from Glasgow,

Sirriusman

You will come along the A9 from Stirling and meet the Perth by-pass at the Broxden roundabout.
    Take the first exit and go to the next roundabout and take the second exit up the A9.
    About one mile up the A9 take the first slip road which takes you over the A9 and through Luncarty.
    Carry straight on to Stanley and after Stanley head for Murthly on the B9099.
    Straight through Murthly and you will cross the bridge over the Tay.
    The entrance to the hut is 50 yards past the bridge on the left.

Coming from Glasgow I would leave the A9 at Bankfoot and follow signs for Murthly village. At Murthly you will cross the rail line. Continue on for another 200 yds or so and immediately on a sharp bend to your left are the castle gates. Go up the main drive and look for an obvious turning down towards the river on your right.
    Bing Maps have O/S - very handy.

Thanks very much heather point!!

Thanks Long Shot!!

Quote Originally Posted by heather point View Post
    You will come along the A9 from Stirling and meet the Perth by-pass at the Broxden roundabout.
    Take the first exit and go to the next roundabout and take the second exit up the A9.
    About one mile up the A9 take the first slip road which takes you over the A9 and through Luncarty.
    Carry straight on to Stanley and after Stanley head for Murthly on the B9099.
    Straight through Murthly and you will cross the bridge over the Tay.
    The entrance to the hut is 50 yards past the bridge on the left.
    Unless I am 'losing it' if the chap is fishing the lower beat (Bottom Water) then he wouldnt cross the the bridge. He would if he were fishin the Top Water.
    The lower beat hut is on the right bank and the upper beat on the left.

If you're fishing with Donald on Friday then I think you'd be on the Top Water. Look for 'Top Water Hut ' on the left bank on the map. If the map isn't clear (Photobucket) then drop me a PM and I'll email it.

If it's cold I would take some port. But if it looks like it's going to warm up a bit then I'd take some port.

Your right DM. Friday's for Murthly 1 appear to be on the Top Water this year - not the Lower Beat as Sirrus Man believes.

In this case the easiest way is to go all the way up to Dunkeld and take the first road to your left after crossing Dunkeld Bridge (Caputh / Co Angus Rd). Continue down this road for approx 3 miles until you come across a very noticeable white (ish) road side wall on your right hand side. This is the wall surrounding Dalbeathie House. Immediately adjacent to the end of the wall is a track road to the right signed 'Boat of Murthly' - just follow this track down to the river.
    Good luck.

All directions were correct with the 1st one being the glendelvine hut.you are going to some of the finest fly water in the uk.

You can't cast too far and the wading is good on the top water.both gillies are very small on murthly but there are few who have caught more fish and know how to catch fish. Be polite and they will give you an excellent chance this week and the water should be pretty good given the forecast

Let us know-how you get on

Tightlines, you are fishing a superb beat, i fish these beats regular. I am fishing my annual week on Murthly2 next week so mind and leave some for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast