Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Quick on the line

Good afternoon

At last I have time for some casting practice, including trying a new line purchased 2 months ago.

When casting, quite late, when the turnover of the upper leg of line really starts, I get often a kick, it looks like the line has too much strength ...

Can you help me in identifying the cause?

Apparently, if try to shot a few feet more of the running line, the kick tends to disappear.

Paulo

Sorry, Kick instead of Quick in the title of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LISBOA58 View Post
    Good afternoon

At last I have time for some casting practice, including trying a new line purchased 2 months ago.

When casting, quite late, when the turnover of the upper leg of line really starts, I get often a kick, it looks like the line has too much strength ...

Can you help me in identifying the cause?

Apparently, if try to shot a few feet more of the running line, the kick tends to disappear.

Paulo
    Think you answered your own question,Paulo.😁

How much line are you shooting?

What running line?

Feathering your running line when shooting line will help with what information we have but more info will confirm.

Cheers andy

One possibility is that you are introducing some kind of sudden shock into the line as you deliver. This could possibly be caused by a stroke which is not smooth enough. It could also be caused by a non straight line rod tip path. I am sure that you are fully aware that the line always follows the direction of the rod tip. If you are using any type of Spey cast your body, anchor and D or V loop should face at 180 degrees to your casting target. Some anglers have a rather unusual concept of what 180 degrees looks like. There is a possibility that there is an imperfection at the section of line where the kick occurs. Running down the line with a digital gauge such as a Vernier and establishing any variations in diameter will help identify and confirm this or otherwise. There are of course other single reasons or combinations of reasons why this event may be occurring. Seeing your cast would of course help in proper diagnosis and correction of your issue.
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Thanks for your advice, and things are better now.

However that Airflo Rage line which I bought recently, is supposed to be a cross of a Shooting Head and a Skagit line, but I wonder if there isn't a little bit of dynamite in the recipe ...