Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default help needed here with casting

i recently picked up fishing again after a long break (nearly twenty years ), and have been out on the water three or four times to brush up .
    suddenly got quite a bit of pain and swelling in left wrist after casting...
    i m right handed, so most of the time left hand is at the bottom of rod, im using the rod i had twenty years ago as its a nice one, a diawa amw 15' , its mated to a oracle short head spey line 10/11., which i find a revelation from the last double taper 10/11 from years ago, not to keen on the constant stripping in of line though
    i m not the perfect caster, i could always get a decent line out but i never had this wrist issue before , is it just old age or something else.
    Any one else had this problem., or can help in anyway much appreciated.

Old age doesn't come alone, but your old rod is probably much heavier then modern ones, which won't help matters
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylong View Post
    Old age doesn't come alone, but your old rod is probably much heavier then modern ones, which won't help matters
    Aye, i suppose so, never noticed any difference with the weight, rod always been pretty light, may be a good idea to collar someone toady on the river and try, see how much lighter things have gone over twenty years.
    we have water on the ribble at last so there should be someone around.

A decent 13ftr would be night and day and probably not loose much performance
    When in doubt...exaggerate !!

See a professional. A 2 hour lesson will cost you round about seventy quid. Worth every penny as they should have a handful of different rods available for you to try before you buy something. Also worth it if it gets you to be able to cast without hurting yourself. If you have water on the Ribble there are loads around not very far from you.
    If they have no bread let them eat Brexit.