Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Screeching Noise On Forward Cast

Need a bit of advice I am using a Oracle Scandi 12,9inch Rod AFTM 8 along with Barrio Switch Line 8/9, on the forward cast it makes a screeching noise, this happens with single / double spey and circle cast and roll casts.
    Any advice would be most appreciated

Malc

Make sure that the line is not touching your reel handle and spinning it round as it is shooting out.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMalc View Post
    Need a bit of advice I am using a Oracle Scandi 12,9inch Rod AFTM 8 along with Barrio Switch Line 8/9, on the forward cast it makes a screeching noise, this happens with single / double spey and circle cast and roll casts.
    Any advice would be most appreciated

Malc
    Don't worry, mine does the same!
    Probable the rings scraping the coating off your lines (that cost more than the rod) lol.

Seriously though - mine stopped doing it after a few outings, due to being single foot guide rings maybe?

Note: The line may be a bit light given I'm over-lining most of my Shakey rods
    Barrio 8/9 switch is 470 grains (30ft head)
    Oracle Scandi 12ft 9 #8 rated 494 grains (39 ft head)
    Last edited by noeyedeer; 28-02-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks for replying will try a different line.

Malc

That woman that was sat right behind you on the river bank eating her lunch..Did you notice if her contact lenses were attached to your fly????
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Dip your rod rings and the line in the water and all being well, once every thing is lubricated by the water the noise will go away.
    Try swopping rods n lines about, see if you can isolate what is making the noise-line or rod rings!.Also you could try a proprietary line lubrication solution see if that makes things better.
    I've had similar myself, but seem to recall its a problem that will slowly fade away with use of both rod n line.
    Pedro.

I have recently taken to cleaning my line after every session where I go practice my casting... I am using water wipes as they seem to have the least amount of chemicals in them... I am absolutely amazed by how much dirt comes of my line every time... I then go on to treat with mucilin... although I suspect that the grease based lubricant may be causing dirt to actually stick to the line at the next session?? May think about Rios Agent X to see if it makes any difference.
    Anyway to answer your thread, perhaps it is dirt that you may need to remove first rather than merely lubricating your line.
    Some do say twas better to have fished and lost (blanked) than neare to have fished atall.

I cleaned my line and was amazed at how dirty it was , cant wait to try it asap, thanks to all for your advice.

Malc

Missing ring liner ?
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

I had a le cie fast a couple of years ago with the single leg rings and it screeched with most lines, although if i remeber if you really got a good cast with good line speed it didn't.or am i just telling myself that?
    Last edited by munro; 04-03-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast