Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Leader not landing straight off my left shoulder?

I went out for a cast with my switch rod today when casting of my right shoulder everything is fine, but when I swapped to my left shoulder the last 2/3ft of the leader is landing to the left not straight.

I've noticed this on occasions with other rods when using my right shoulder but not consistently, occasionally a bit left occasionally a bit to the right
    What's the cause of this?

Thanks Al

The rod tip is not travelling straight on the forward stroke when left hand up, probably due to you not going round far enough with the rod tip on the sweep or it may be that youre going round far enough then pushing out to far on the delivery. Whatever the rod tip does the line will follow. I do it myself occasionally but see it and can quickly rectify it. Best to have someone stand on the bank behind you as they will see this and can help you rectify it.
    "If want a fish, I'll take a fish so get over it"

Or let somebody else make a video with the smartphone of your casting and have a look on it! Thatís often very interesting stuff to view.

Sounds like a "Bloody L", your second anchor is not landing straight.

It airborne anchor I'm using, should probably have mentioned that incase it's relevant ?

Thanks Al
    Last edited by Speytime; 11-11-2018 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonaddict View Post
    The rod tip is not travelling straight on the forward stroke when left hand up, probably due to you not going round far enough with the rod tip on the sweep or it may be that youre going round far enough then pushing out to far on the delivery. Whatever the rod tip does the line will follow. I do it myself occasionally but see it and can quickly rectify it. Best to have someone stand on the bank behind you as they will see this and can help you rectify it.
    Rod tip not travelling straight is a good possibility, im still at the point where my left hand up feels foreign to me and tbh it feels like its going out reasonably well through luck rather than skill if that makes sense?

Thanks for all the replies I'll persevere left hand up, im also going to get a few more lessons
    Al

Al,Speycasting in general is a series of stages all brought together to form the one cast.You need to start from your last stage and work backwards to find the fault.
    Speaking personally here,I'm flaming useless with my left hand,I know any cast that I do left hand up go's awry.Thats in part due to muscle memory and my ability on my left hand side.
    The answer to your problem may well be easily defined, but rectification will all be down to you utilising your left hand side a lot more and practise ,practise,practise!
    Good luck,I know its my achilles heel!
    Pedro.

Do you really need your left?

Where the water is running left to right i feel I've got to use my left so that the lines angle is landing at 45.

But looking down the water I can see people are still using there right hand up, is it me or them that's missing something?

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Speytime View Post

Where the water is running left to right i feel I've got to use my left so that the lines angle is landing at 45.

But looking down the water I can see people are still using there right hand up, is it me or them that's missing something?

Al

With the water running left to right you may cast with either your left or right hand up. Ultimately which hand to use is dictated by wind direction. If you attempt to cast right hand up in an upstream wind you will more then likely end up with your fly stuck in your waders or worse still stuck in your face. It is very dangerous to do so and people who cannot cast with either hand up will usually suggest that they can get away with it as they employ some kind of Heath Robinson fix. They may in fact get away with it to a point. It is nonetheless dangerous and there really is no real alternative to being able to cast either hand up. Now, being the closed season is the ideal time to practice with your non dominant arm and be ready for the 2019 season. Practice is the essential part of improvement.
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Quote Originally Posted by Speytime View Post

Al
    Yes. You can use Snake Roll, Double Spey etc with no wind or downstream wind from the right bank, right hand up but upstream wind you'll need either Single Spey or Snap T👍

As said...don't even think about using a downstream anchor cast in an upstream wind...could end up with a hook in the chin 👍
    "If want a fish, I'll take a fish so get over it"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast