Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    Just out of interest Rrrr,what was your set up,i.e. line length,density and leader make up,
    True Under hand is very much a floating line technique using long leaders and shallow wading any thing else can put a strain on the body,i regularly use the true style but havent experienced any back issues as such,it is not a distance style either,scandi style is far better for this along with deeper wading and sink tips or sinking lines with shooting heads
    Agree totally.. it's a short shooting head style, longer or sinking lines just don't get around into the D properly. You end up forcing the cast and throwing the back into it more as well. For me to get it to work I have to exaggerate the high tip path
    Last edited by suirspey; 25-03-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Only other issue i found was that it was throwing a decent loop but pretty high so was having to kill the cast once or twice for the far bank trees. Ill give it a shot on the tyne next weekend with a bit more room to play with as the coquet can be quite tight to cast at times.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Any style of cast knackers my back after an hour or two, obviously down to bad technique and age! I have to use a back brace if I want to fish all day and a pack of ibuprofen.

First day of the season for me tomorrow on the Tyne sooo looking forward to it

Aye it should be canny for the next couple of days untill the forecast northeasterly starts to blow through later in the week. I carry a pack of ibuprofen in my fishing bag as i always end up with something or other acheing by the end of the day.

The equipment sounds good. It shouldnít result in aching bones or muscles. Itís not only technique, windy days or unbalanced equipment.
    What about sports and body trainings?
    Fishing is no sport in sense of word. Even if it would be, we would need some training in wintertime, before the season starts again.
    Especially when becoming older, regularly sport or gentlemenís gymnastic can bring additional years of fishing and fun...
    Cheers
    Roland

But nevertheless, Ibuprofen is with me to safe a fishing week ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Could have been a coincidence but yesterday the fishing was a bit slow so decided to have a mess about with propper underhand style casting. My back was aching after an hour so went back to regular casting still using my bottom hand but not a propper low underhand cast. Just a coincidence or does that style of casting tend to tweak the back abit more ?

Could be that your posture changed due to the unfamiliar casting style and you may have been leaning forward too much unknowingly, putting strain on the back. Quite common and certainly happens a lot with a spinning rod and fixed spool reel. Next time you have a go, be aware of your posture and try to keep your body upright. Just a thought 👍
    Last edited by salmonaddict; 26-03-2018 at 07:12 AM.
    "If in doubt, put it back"!

Of course one wrong step, wrong position or movement -not used to - can be enough, to cause problems, when there are not enough stabilizing and trained muscles!
    If there are reasonable trained muscles, one hour casting of an experienced, no matter what style or experiments in body movements, canít cause problems for the back. Impossible.
    Do yourself a favor and do body training to safe your back and bones for coming years of fishing, as long as there is no serious handicap. There are a lot of deeper muscles involved, not only the bigger muscle groups.
    Cheers
    Roland

Default Underhand

One thing that springs to mind is that I've not seen mention of body rotation during the cast. It may be that you are not rotating your body and trying to complete the cast by extending your arms which would put strain on your back.
    Game Angling Instructors Association

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12