Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Casting practice...

Well, after my post on running line advice , I eventually got it all together and headed out for a practice cast...

I gave the recently acquired Meiser MKS 14' # 9/10 rod a bash with the Airflo Rage Hover 660gr & fast sink 10' tip & tried out the Amnesia 30lbs for the first time

I matched up its little brother Meiser MKS 13'6" #7/8 with the 480gr Rage Hover head and 10' slow sink tip again with the Amnesia

Got the Mrs to video it to see how many faults I've picked up over the years ... I'm no tournament caster by a long shot....as you'll see by the videos...but I definitely enjoyed using the mono running line

Just need more practice (who doesn't!) and maybe a visit or two to an instructor in the closed season as I've been away from salmon fishing for quite a while.

Onwards & upwards...

Your Getting it out that's all that matters, The only thing I think that maybe a problem for you is your stop! (pick the top of a tree or some high point & try bring your rod to a sudden stop when you make your forward cast) can't see your hands properly? so don't know wether you got a bit of muscle memory in the top hand following through. But your getting a good distance.....
    Fly Fishing & Rugby a Marriage made in Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Darra O'Connell View Post
    Your Getting it out that's all that matters, The only thing I think that maybe a problem for you is your stop! (pick the top of a tree or some high point & try bring your rod to a sudden stop when you make your forward cast) can't see your hands properly? so don't know wether you got a bit of muscle memory in the top hand following through. But your getting a good distance.....
    I agree Darra, I'm still getting used to the underhand casting to be honest, it defo is muscle memory I can feel myself doing it, no matter how much I tell myself "stop / point at the trees"
    I just need to put in the hours & practice , it's hard to keep good form & easy to lose it that's for sure. Cheers for the feedback, always welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clydebuilt View Post
    I agree Darra, I'm still getting used to the underhand casting to be honest, it defo is muscle memory I can feel myself doing it, no matter how much I tell myself "stop / point at the trees"
    I just need to put in the hours & practice , it's hard to keep good form & easy to lose it that's for sure. Cheers for the feedback, always welcome!!
    Your flying it everyone has there own casting technique, the worst thing you can do is listen to lot's of different opinions! We all have habits & it's hard to change your casting style & it can be really difficult when your happy casting your way & everyone is giving their two pennies worth. There are lot's of good Instructors that will break it down step by step, it's like a jigsaw it will all come together.
    Fly Fishing & Rugby a Marriage made in Heaven.

Default Casting Practice

I am but a mere angling coach and not an instructor so take this with a pinch of salt but I honestly think you are putting out a nice straight line that has enough distance to catch fish and lets face it we are fishers and not casters.
    from personal experience I find that you will get to a distance and you will not improve on that no matter what you do everyone has a max and once reached that's it.
    As long as you are casting well enjoying what you are doing and getting a fish or two then I would be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishconnolly View Post
    I am but a mere angling coach and not an instructor so take this with a pinch of salt but I honestly think you are putting out a nice straight line that has enough distance to catch fish and lets face it we are fishers and not casters.
    from personal experience I find that you will get to a distance and you will not improve on that no matter what you do everyone has a max and once reached that's it.
    As long as you are casting well enjoying what you are doing and getting a fish or two then I would be happy with that.

Cheers Chris,

I've been conventional spey casting since my early teens and whilst no tournament caster, I've got by for the last 30

However, as I've finally moved onto shorter salmon rods and shooting heads, I've had to adjust to the underhand technique to become more efficient and use the rod/line combos to their maximum potential.

The muscle memory from using the top hand is a hard habit to kick, especially after a full on single handed season at the trout too...but , i'm getting better with each practice session and finding the thought of a 14'er with shooting heads much more pleasant than wafting a 16/17'er with full sinker for the big early cold water days.

Just need to remember more bottom hand & stop at the trees..

The more you involve the bottom hand in making the backcast the more likely you are in using the bottom hand in the forward cast!!,the advice on stoping the rod tip at the tree tops is ok till theres no trees,use both hands to stop the rod tip around 45degree,and keep practicing buddy,using lines around 2.5/3x the rod length means using a short casting stroke so keep arms close to your side(i usually put a rock under my armpit of top hand when demonstrating the short stroke) to friends and get them to copy
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!