Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any tips for underhand casting.

Fished the fly most of the day yesterday and found when i concentrated on using the bottom hand for power the line was flying out but any lack of concentration when the wind was gusting and i was reverting back to an old falkus style propper spey cast which with the rod im using and with a shooting head just zaps all of the power out of it. Is there any tips to make sure im allways using the bottom hand or is it just a case of practise untill its first nature as this rod dosent seem too forgiving if you try and force a bit of power out of it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Keep a very relaxed grip with your top hand. I know that there is a tendency to grip harder when the wind blows or when you are trying for distance. If you can keep your grip loose and resist any temptation to push with the top hand it should help. Less is more!

SP8

Quote Originally Posted by SP8 View Post
    Keep a very relaxed grip with your top hand. I know that there is a tendency to grip harder when the wind blows or when you are trying for distance. If you can keep your grip loose and resist any temptation to push with the top hand it should help. Less is more!

SP8
    Yes this is what I do too. Try holding it with just three fingers or with your thumb and first finger create a 'loop', or any other way that limits your ability to apply power through the top hand.

Top hand lower down the handle

I think you will find the advice I gave in post 10 of this link usefull.
    http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...read69273.html

Cheers. Both make alot of sense. I tend to grip my top hand with the thumb and first 2 fingers as the little finger and one next to it are knackerd from old injuries etc so dont grip too well. Going to give both a try as when i get it right its so efficient and the line flys.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Faulks was no doubt using a line that was 4/5x the rod length where as you were using a line around 3x the rod length,shorter lines require a shorter casting stroke,
    In the underhand casting style the dominant hand is the bottom hand the top hand only rises and drops during the cast the bottom hand pushes out and rises a little in a half moon shape towards the target to make the back cast and gets pulled back down to where it started(your hip)
    Keep a shoft grip with your hands this allows you to feel the weigth and load on the rod,the top hand grip on the rod should be just thumb and forefinger allowing the rod to rotate through the half moon shape the bottom hand produces
    Loads of underhand demos on utube but Goran Andersson is the father of them all,
    A fast action rod is best,and long leaders (minimum being at least the rod length )for best results
    Last edited by dexterbuchanan1; 27-02-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

One of the most common reasons associated with top hand dominance when casting a double handed rod is allowing the bottom hand to migrate across your body and therefore rendering it pretty much unusable. The only real option then open is to push the rod with the top hand. A good exercise to help mitigate against this is to draw an imaginary line down the centre of your ribcage down to your groin and not allowing the bottom hand to migrate across this imaginary line. After delivery of the line the arm of the upper hand should still be flexed and not straightened out. These are only general statements however and without seeing your actual cast it is quite difficult to offer a more definite critique

It helps if you have a stiffish rod with a top action. I also speed up my casting action with a slightly smaller D and snap back my lower hand into my midriff while stopping the forward action of the tip just after 12 0'clock quite abruptly with my top hand.

I'm far from being an expert but for what it's worth.....
    I always tell myself to "hug the rod" when I'm casting.
    In effect I try to keep the elbow of my top hand (I vary this and practice with left and right hand uppermost) tucked into my midriff. If you can avoid to temptation to push with your top hand, the only option left for you to generate a forward cast is to pull with your bottom hand.
    I also try to make sure my top hand (fulcrum/pivot point) never drops once my D-loop is created. Although the cast will work, it opens up the loop a bit tool much for my liking.

Oh yes.......and simply practice, practice and then practice some more. Muscle memory is the key.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast