Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wee-Eck View Post
    It helps if you have a stiffish rod with a top action. I also speed up my casting action with a slightly smaller D and snap back my lower hand into my midriff while stopping the forward action of the tip just after 12 0'clock quite abruptly with my top hand.
    Its a 13ft lpxe so set up for that style of casting i think. I keep finding myself throwing a big d loop when not paying attention and my anchors away

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dont get me wrong im getting used to it and getting better each time out but looking for a more constant cast as i love the fact that this style of casting is so efficient. Also and probably the main thing is im really enjoying it and using the fly rod over the spinning rod more than ever.

Default Bottom Hand

1. Like in golf always exaggerate a change in your stroke so that when you stop concentrating you end up somewhere between your original stroke and the exaggerated stroke.
    2. Try to form your D Loop by pushing the bottom hand away from your body with the left arm almost fully extended - If the bottom hand isn't pushed away from your body then you will be unable to pull it back towards your body.
    3. When practising try to finish the cast with your bottom hand under your armpit and your right arm still bent.
    4. Practice some aerial casts with your right hand acting as a pivot, almost still, and your bottom hand moving the rod tip back and forward, then try to feel this motion in your normal casting stroke.
    5. Practice the motion, without a rod, in front of a mirror or window reflection - Its amazing how much this helps.

And remember to create a good cast the rod must unload. For this to happen effectively then you must stop the rod so that it unloads and catapults the line forward. If you push through with your right arm then you will lose a lot of power. What works for me is a short fast push and stop with the top hand late in the casting stroke. Try exaggerating this snapping the rod back towards you with the top hand - Not literally
    Last edited by Dazza; 28-02-2017 at 12:31 AM.
    Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

Cheers for all the replys. Got a ton of great info and tips to work on. Now i just need more time on the river to get things figured out. Cant wait for light nights to put the hours in after work aswel as weekends.

Try sneaking up to the river while no one is looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    Try sneaking up to the river while no one is looking.
    If i could get away with it i would. Im the boss man so can go fishing when i want in theory but i dont think customers would be pleased when they show up to pick their motors up and ive a gone fishing sign on the door. I do get a nice lull in buisness about may time that im taking full advantage of with a few 4 day weeks.

Last edited by Rrrr; 28-02-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Moving your top hand down the handle like T7 said is a good tip.
    It helped me a lot. It forces you to use your bottom hand more.
    After you've fished like this for a while and using your bottom hand feels like the natural way to cast then slowly start moving you hand back up till your grip is around shoulder width apart again.

Yea it makes a lot of sense to kill the power with the top hand to make the bottom hand work more. Cant wait to get out and get learning again now.

try holding with just your finger tips one the top hand. Just three and your thumb, lightly. It really helped me when learning the cast. You just cannot put a lot of power through the top that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Fished the fly most of the day yesterday and found when i concentrated on using the bottom hand for power the line was flying out but any lack of concentration when the wind was gusting and i was reverting back to an old falkus style proper spey cast which with the rod im using and with a shooting head just zaps all of the power out of it. Is there any tips to make sure im allways using the bottom hand or is it just a case of practise untill its first nature as this rod dosent seem too forgiving if you try and force a bit of power out of it.

Hi Rrrr,

I learned Spey Casting technique from three different people in Scotland over various courses and clinics, (Peter Anderson, Ally Gowans, and James Chalmers), none of them were top hand dominant in power application, all to varying degrees stressing the importance of the bottom hand, and body use, in power application. Whether its Spey or shooting head outfits, personally I consider bottom hand use is the essence of good double hand rod casting. No matter how difficult it is to change over to that fairly counter intuitive way initially of casting a double handed rod, the efficiency and results in the end make it well worth the effort.
    Last edited by minitube; 19-03-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast